Thursday 17 August 2006

That Was a Really Weird Drive Home


10pm

Two young guys were standing at the corner of Fairfield and Moss (which, while not in the middle of nowhere, really isn't anywhere at all.) They were both in dress shoes, suit pants, a white shirt and tie. As I was waiting for the light to change, they turned and walked down separate streets, perfect 90 degree angles from each other. Their determined walks seemed to suggest that they were upset with each other, or with whatever it was that had landed them in that situation. There was no one else around, no concert I could see, no dates walking away in fancy dresses. I really wanted to pull over and ask one of them where they were coming from, where they were going, and what was going on.

I kept on driving.

An older guy was standing in front of an empty floral display. Next to him was a skinny, black doberman. The man was wearing gloves. The kind of gloves that police officers and bouncers wear so that they don't get blood on them when they're dealing with "difficult" people. It wasn't cold enough for gloves.

I kept on driving.

In a dimly lit street, I saw a skateboarder coming at me, in the wrong direction, on the road. He held his hand up in a weird sort of wave when I turned my highbeams on so I could avoid running him over. He seemed annoyed that I had noticed him.

I kept on driving.

There were three very expensive new cars parked outside an Elementary school, each with a shiny "N" plate hanging in the window. There was no one around and no houses near. I wanted to know where the party was. But I kept on driving.

There was a man on a bike, pulling his belongings along behind him on a trailer and a big white truck with moving blue and pink LED lights on the back panel. Parked. Stationary. Glowing. Someone with no money passing the excesses of someone with too much.

There was a weird feeling the whole way home tonight. I can't quite explain it. I somehow got the feeling that it wasn't quite safe or sane out there. So I just kept on driving.

No comments: