Friday 20 October 2006

Crunch Time

I have two days left to decide if I want to return my new camera. I don't know what to do.

I really wanted a skinny little digital I could throw into my pocket or my purse so that I'd have a camera with me all the time. So I got this guy. But every time I take a photo with it, so far, I realize it's far from the quality I've come to expect from my other camera. I'm disappointed.

I need to decide in the next day or two if I really want to give up a few hundred dollars for a camera I don't like (yet) just so that I can have a camera with me at all times. I have to decide if I'll learn to like this camera once I figure it out. I have to decide if there's a better, small camera out there that's not wildly more expensive. I have to shake my head at myself for being affluent enough to consider this a "problem" when it's really quite ridiculous. If I don't return it by Sunday, I can't return it.

Awesome how I left the decision to the last possible moment eh?

Yeah.

Saturday: I'm going to take it back. I went out for a walk today, it's clear and sunny. (And cold, I think my nose fell off. ) I took a few photos. I don't love them. With my car all breaking down-like, I'm not going to spend four hundred dollars on a camera I don't love. I'll just have to get used to bringing my big ol' camera more places with me. Maybe I'll have to buy a new purse so it'll fit. Purse? Bag? Whaddya call em? Satchel?

11 comments:

Victoria said...

Yep, good ol' last minute!
I'll look into the IXUS 65, thanks.

You haven't tried putting your camera into your purse yet? heh ; )

Victoria said...

ps. it's the IXUS 60 I'm taking back, Ryan.

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for a good camera bag, I recommend Crumpler they make quite nice bags, I own one myself.

I've been having the same problem, trying to find a compact camera that has a quality I like. For a price tag that doesn't suck too. :)

If you find anything do let me know.

Victoria said...

Ooooooh! It is bad that I'm drooling a little over those Crumpler bags?
I like I like!

I don't know about the compact anymore Likalia. : ( I REALLY don't want to blow a thousand bucks ( or half of that, really ) but I was really disappointed by the quality of the little guy I had. It was 6 mp and had lots of "manual" features but still... it just wasn't the same as my big one. I guess that's to be expected. Or is it?

Maybe it's a matter of waiting a year or so til good ol' technology catches up. I'll certainly be "test driving" the next compact again before keeping it.

I just didn't see the point of having a camera that took photos I didn't like. I like my memories to look good! : ) I'll let you know if I have any luck though!

Victoria said...

Isn't that Crumpler song hilarious?

man, oh man, could I ever tell you some stories about when i worked in a bra shop.

whooooeeeeeee!

Are you lost, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Yeah that Crumpler site is hilarious.

Plus when I got my bag delivered the fun continued. In the box with it were stickers with the logo, a little decoration which was a picture of a robot made up of all their different bags, a catalogue which included an odd little story complete with pictures, a poster AND a mini box of matches (which totally made me laugh!). I think that was all, as if that isn't enough. Gotta give props to those two crazy boys from down under that started the company, they have a good sense of humor. :)

BTW - Why would you ask a guy who walked into a purse shop if he was lost? There are many reasons he could be there, shopping for a girlfriend/wife/mum or maybe even HIMSELF! How do you know he isn't a Drag Queen looking for the perfect bag to match those new shoes he just got? HMMMMM??

Ahem! Ok I am done, now, I think I am a little nutty this morning. Must find more coffee.

Victoria said...

matches???? COOOOOOOOOOOOLL!

Those crazy boys down under. (hmmm.. boys, down.. under...whee!

I wondered the same thing about the "lost" comment. How to lose a sale in one easy step! lol

pssst. don't tell, I think I'm a little nuts today too! wooo hoooooo.

Victoria said...

Ryan,
I did indeed work in a bra shop. Oh the stories I have. Maybe I'll have to tell some of em! Or, maybe, your imagination will come up with better stories ; )
Glad you like my flickr photos. I'm thinking of getting rid of a few of them.
Flickr is fun to look around!
I'm dog tired too... I think I was running on Australia time last night. Need more than four hour's sleep tonight I think!

Um.. what was I talking about?

Victoria said...

Go buy a purse for your Mum! Or.. your new sister in law? Go... she may have been flirting! Wheeeeeeee!


But then again, it *would* suck if your Y chromosome flopped off. LOL

Jonathan Beckett said...

I keep looking at the Fuji Z2 (it's probably obselete already), to put in my bag. At the moment I carry around a prehistoric Fuji Finepix thing when I remember, but I know the pictures it takes aren't that great.

Victoria said...

I do think I'm going to have to get another camera soon, Jonathan. I actually thought about getting another of the camera I have now just so I don't have to worry about losing or breaking it. Is that totally weird? I think so.