Thursday 2 November 2006

Rush, Rush, Rush, Rush, Rush!


The speed of life has increased exponentially since I was a kid. My life is being dictated to me by marketers and I don't like it.

Think about it:

Summer has just begun and the stores are filled with "Back to School" signs.

The end of August rolls round and it's time to buy Hallowe'en candy.

As we edge into September the Hallowe'en candy sits next to Christmas cards.

October brings full-on Christmas displays.

October, people!

Once we pass American Thanksgiving, it's Christmas shopping frenzy. Madness on the roads, in the malls, everywhere. It's a panic.

And then we hit Boxing Day Sales and, by the way, are you ready for Valentine's Day?

January and February lead us to the most romantic day of the year, at which point we're reminded that the Easter bunny is going to be here any moment!

Easter? Well, that's just a milli-second before Summer, isn't it? Are you skinny enough for your bikini? Where will you take your holiday? You'd better decide because

it's time to go back to school.

And it starts all over again.

Not only do I feel rushed, I feel sad. I used to anticipate Hallowe'en in the week (or maybe the two weeks) leading up to it. I used to look forward to putting up our Christmas lights the first non-rainy weekend in December. I used to be able to celebrate my January birthday without staring at giant red hearts in the stores.

Why are we rushing? Who said?

And who's supporting this frenzy to buy out the next holiday before we've even reached the current one? It's not me.

Can't we have Hallowe'en fun and decorations in late October, Christmas carols and shopping in mid-December and pink hearts and chocolate the second week of February? Can't we have times when the stores are just for shopping? Shopping for stuff? Non-denominational, non-holiday, non-Hallmark stuff? Like, socks?

Please?

I'm so tired of rushing!

It's November, can't we just be here?

10 comments:

cocoa_no_gogo said...

Well said.

Victoria said...

Thanks cocoa

Unknown said...

I'm totally with you.

dilling said...

hear, hear.... and no Christmas Carols on the musak until the week of Christmas....

Anonymous said...

They are putting the Christmas tree lights up all over the place in the UK, and Christmas cards are on sale...

It's the start of November!?!?

Victoria said...

WE PROTEST!

It's got you guys too Jonathan? bummer.

Ewwwww, I forgot about Musak dilling! *shudder*

Right on, les ; )

Utah Dagger said...

I was at work tonight and someone was had a radio station on that was all Christmas music. O.K. - now #1 - It's just the beginning of Nov.....why are you listening to Christmas music already and #2....why do they have an all Christmas music station already. I'm tired of going to walmart in July to get swimming stuff only to find the shelves are already stocked with costumes. I agree completely.....everyone is in too big of a hurry. Live in the moment.

Utah Dagger said...

amen.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I go around with tunnel vision ignoring all the Christmas stuff. I REFUSE to acknowledge it till December. I won't even let a mince pie cross my lips till December 1st. Do you know how much control that takes when they are in the supermarket already...staring at me...begging to be eaten?

Victoria said...

i have a similar problem in spring with the Cadbury's Easter eggs. (actually, they're coming out around February now! )
SO... tasty... so.. tempting...mmmmm

we'll have to be strong tod! ; )