Thursday 9 November 2006

Someone Explain it to Me Please!

A while ago, I talked about a guy I maybe might kind of have liked, possibly.

Well, I ran into him again today.

I told him he should come sit at our table but he didn't, even with our mutual friend sitting with me, so I figured he was making the point that he wasn't interested in me. No biggie. Move on.

An hour or so later, we both get up for coffee at the same time and he comes over to talk to me and there's some talking and a few nudges from him. No, really, nudges. And a tickle.

So, what's the deal? Is there a deal? Can some male explain it to me here?

My take (er, guess) is that he's not interested, but doesn't see why that means he can't be friendly, so he's setting us up to be friends.

Am I right, or what? Are there secret signals I'm missing? Are there obvious signals I'm missing? Do guys even consider these things?

You boys are so weird.

7 comments:

cocoa_no_gogo said...

I wish I could explain it to you, but there is only so much I am allowed to disclose.

I looked up "turn down lunch invite followed by playful nudges over coffee" in the manual, and it appears that your suitor is engaging in a classic "Swarsky Maneuver" outlined on p.646. However, the "tickle" is an improvisation on his part. What kind of tickle was it? Did he just poke your midriff with his finger or did he take out a feather and begin to caress various areas of your skin with it? The latter would be a clear indication that he is interested.

Victoria said...

Gah!

No, no feathers. More of a midriff poke, yes.

This manual is obviously international. Or are you reading from the North American version?

Do wives get to read the manual? What about trans-sexuals?

I'm totally googling "the Swarsky"

; )

Anonymous said...

I think you're over-analysing. Forgive me for being "obvious" here, but where's the problem with finding out if there is some daytime event on, and ask if he would like to go?

Victoria said...

No problem at all jonathan, just that the times I've initiated an asking out the relationship hasn't worked. I've backed off of the obvious asking and am mostly leaving it up to the guys from now on. For me, if they do the asking out then I'm *sure* they're interested. If I do the asking out? Who knows.

As for over-analysing? For sure I am! It's what I do! Totally. Famously.

(and am trying to do less of) : )

Victoria said...

jonathan: I should probably also mention that I'm not really dying to be in a relationship right now so I'm not going to push anything to happen with anyone.

danish said...

Huh! Well, that's weird. Maybe he's not interested but he's just a ridiculously charming and flirty person no matter what the case? A player, perhaps?

Seriously, a friend of mine is like that. So charming and flirty and wonderful, but has a girlfriend.

Actually, no. Two.

Be careful!

Victoria said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.


Sigh. Boys. Pfffft!