Tuesday 28 August 2007

Life Is A Highway


This post may sound familiar in some ways, (especially if you've been around here a while) but as I was driving to the store I started to think that my car and my relationship with Smith have a lot in common. Parallel relationships or something; a bad simile in the making.

Allow me to explain.

Some background: I love my car. (And, no, that's not my car over there. Dude, I so wish) My parents sold it to me when I first got hired as a spy. It's a great little car, but it is neither brand-new, nor 100% healthy.

I've been told by the guys at the car place that if I put (another) $1500 into my car it'll run forever, that it's a great car, solid and dependable, but I'm not sure I trust them and I've already put more into the car than I'd ever get back in resale.

My car doesn't always start the first time, especially in winter when it's cold and damp. And it runs a little rough, it makes noises and it has no power windows or air conditioning and sometimes the clock doesn't work. But it's a good car. The stereo works, and I just have to open both windows if I'm too hot. It gets good gas mileage, I keep it pretty clean. I got new tires a couple of years ago and new front breaks and, well, I love my car. It's fine. It's good enough. It does what it's supposed to do despite not being a BMW or Lexus.

I'm considering getting a new car sooner or later. But when I test drove one, I didn't have a great experience. And I'm not sure about going into debt when I could just fix what's wrong with the car I already have. Is it worth it having a car that purrs and runs like a dream but has no soul and leaves you owing the bank?

Sigh.

I have a car that I love, despite all its flaws (because, really, it's not the car's fault it's got a leaky oil thingamy) and I don't want to look for a new one, especially knowing that I might not like the new one and it might cause me a lot of money and therefore stress.

Which reminds me of Smith. Very much not perfect but loved. While I start thinking of moving on, I can logically see my way through all the benefits of a "better model", and I just, still come back to not wanting to. Smith was good, being with him was a bumpy ride, but I still ended up loving him and I think that with some care, the relationship could have gone on forever.

Like my car.

I guess I should be happy that at least my car can't drive away on me, right?

4 comments:

The Ex said...

Sigh.
Victoria, sometimes you make perfect sense.
I already have a car that I'm still making payments on and I'm desperately wanting to buy a new one.

Laura said...

Good analogy.

Sounds like you have the same car I do. Except I'm rapidly falling out of love with my car every time something new breaks. Hehe. But it's a good little car - it drove me all the way across Canada and back.

I'm sure the car wasn't exactly the point of this post, but anyway.

Delton said...

Thank goodness Smith doesn't have a leaky oil thingamy, or else you'd have an entirely different set of problems right now!

I'd at least get another opinion or two before sinking that much money into an older car. If you get 3 people telling you fixing x, y & z will make the car last for you, that's much more reassuring than just one person trying to convince you to spend that much money with their shop.

Plus, there is the whole, "I would like to buy a house" thing. It's tough to do both a house and a new car at the same time.

Victoria said...

The Ex, I like that you think I make sense! hee!

Laura, my car's been running really rough these past couple of days, maybe it's mad at me? ; )

Delton, leaky oil thingamy! ee hee hee! And good points, car wise, thanks!