Wednesday 23 January 2008

Not Like Winter With No Snow*


It really has been an odd winter for me so far. And maybe by writing this I'll un-jinx myself and end up with just what I'm talking about not having. (You following? I'm trying to work reverse psychology on Mother Nature. Let's hope it confuses her too!)

Usually, by now we'll have had a couple of small snowfalls. Normally, a couple in November that don't stick, maybe one or two that does and certainly by January we'll have had a few.

This year we just keep not getting it. They keep saying we're going to get it. Some. Probably. And then we don't. It's bizarre.

I'm not going all "global warming" here because the Island is getting some snow and Vancouver is getting some snow and "higher elevations" (wherever that is) is getting some snow. Just not my Greater Victoria Regional District.

If nothing else, it's showing me what an inexact science meteorology must be. I wonder if they're shaking their heads just as much as I am.

Not that I'm completely giving up hope. Spring's still a little ways off and I do remember a couple of March flurries a few years back.

Just in case (and yes, I did research on this just for you) let's all wear our pj's inside out, put white crayons in our freezers, flush ice down the toilet and sleep with spoons under our pillows.

Oh, and we may as well cross our fingers while we're at it, no?


*A slight twisting of a song from one of my favourite seasonal movies that I somehow didn't get around to watching this year.

8 comments:

Likalia said...

It has been strange how little snow some places (ok just Victoria) has gotten. Us North Islanders are supposed to have slushy rain/snow tomorrow, which will hang around for about 10 minutes I'm sure.

Maybe you should come play on the mountain, it is very snowy this year. I'm hoping to drag my friends up snowshoeing soon - if I can get them organized. :)

Jen Wilson said...

I hope you get your snow!!

Michael Colvin said...

I don't think we've had decent thick snow here for four years. Come to think of it, even the slushy stuff is pretty rare these days.

dilling said...

i don't really want anymore up here.
if i see anymore, I point it in your direction.

Jenn said...

If I thought it would ship well, I'd send you some of ours, we have MORE than enough!

Victoria said...

Likalia, it is a bit odd, eh? *scratches head* I may have to head up to the ol' Mount.

Mrs Wilson, me too!

Tod, so no ice age for you guys either then ; )

Dilling, that'd be awesome. I await your pointing.

Jenn, between you sending some and Dilling sending hers in my direction I should be just fine!

George said...

I could ship you some from southern Ontario.

I have always thought I would be a great weather forecaster. Here's how I would do it ... I would take 1,000 smallish pieces of paper and write a different forecast on each one. I would dump the all into a hat (or box) and then I would pick out one very early every morning and that would be the forecast for the day. If somebody wanted a five day forecast ... I pick five and then throw them back in ... giving me the right to change the five day forecast.

I am pretty sure I would have as much chance of being correct as does Environment Canada with their multi million dollar supercomputers.

Victoria said...

George, see if you can arrange for the shipping people to deliver it by air.. and maybe dump it outside my house so I can play in it? ; )

Your forecasting idea gave me a good laugh, go for it! Hee