Wednesday 20 February 2008

And Then There Were Two


There's a gal who spent some time in our spy cave this fall learning how to be a super duper spy. We got along great and became friends. (After the required ninja-skills battle, of course)

So this friend of mine is similar to me in that she loves to set people up. I don't have much luck with this seeing as I only know a couple of single guys and, well, to be quite honest, my Buddy (hi buddy!) is tired of me trying to set him up with any girl he's anywhere near. Sigh.

But anyway, Spy Girl has tried to suggest a couple of guys to me after hearing all about my issues with Smith and declaring him "a loser" long before that thought came anywhere near my consciousness.

The first guy she thought of, she didn't pursue because she said, and I quote, "You're like me and I think you would scare him." I guess high energy random thought-filled girls aren't his thing.

The second guy she thought of she thought was great, but let me know that he had two kids. "I'm not going to date anyone with kids again, SG, thanks." She assured me that he was a really great guy and that I didn't have to worry about the kids because he never saw them.

Um, know what? That only makes it worse.

So that didn't go anywhere either.

And then I went through the crap with the thing and decided that there would be no more dating, no more relationships, for me ever again. Like-a so.

Fast forward a week.

I get an email from Spy Girl telling me about this guy she thinks I should meet. "Um, no. I'm not dating ever again thanks. Oh, and by the way I just kind of called Smith accidentally on purpose."

She emailed me back right away (ok, maybe that's all we do sometimes, is email back and forth back and forth) and said that was fine. She wouldn't tell me any more about this guy and I could just die old and lonely smelling of cat pee and calling up my loser ex-boyfriend. (Her words, not mine, but still, she got her point across effectively, no?)

"FINE!" I email-shouted back at her. "Tell me about this stupid guy!"

So she tells me about this guy from her 5 am running group (the mere idea of which nearly makes me faint) who is athletic and fit (I like athletic and fit!) and nice. ( I like nice!) She's pretty sure he's single and wants to know if she can give him my email. She sends me a photo of him and he seems cute so I say, with a dramatic email sigh, that sure, she can give him my email. But only because I don't want to end up a crazy cat lady.

So on the same day I get an email from the old co-worker guy, I get this short, friendly email from this runner guy saying that our mutual friend thought we might be compatible and would I maybe like to meet and hang out some time.

Does that explain why I was sitting staring at two emails asking me out? Wait, that came out wrong. The emails weren't asking me out, they're inanimate. You know what I meant, right?

24 comments:

dilling said...

go with the runner guy!!!! you could go running together, in a non-datish sort of way...and see if you like him...in a datish sort of way!
he lives there
he is fit
he is cute
he responded in a timely fashion...

er, sorry, how did I get so excited by this? what do your instincts say?

Michael Colvin said...

Don't ask me, I'm too busy thinking about your awesome ninja-skills battle. :)

Victoria said...

Dilling, I think I'll have to go NOT running with him as he's super duper fit and I'd just embarrass myself all red and wheezy. Probably not the first impression I'd want to make.: )
Oh, and? He lives here. Big points! Heh. And it's adorable that you got all excited by this, yay! My instincts are wary... but we'll see.
I seem to be saying that a lot lately.

Tod, awesome it was! Hiii yah!

Anonymous said...

I vote for RUNNER GUY!

Victoria said...

Hee. You guys are cute!

Likalia said...

Hmm, tough call, option number three...?

Also a question about your Buddy, he "is tired of me trying to set him up with any girl he's anywhere near.", meaning he only wants to date girls who live beyond a certain distance from him? As in looks for long distance relationships? Crazy!

GF Girl said...

All is clear now - so why don't you say yes to both - hey why not, not that you are destined to become a crazy cat lady. But really what do you have to lose? So something simple and see - who knows maybe you have no chemistry, or cross our fingers you do... with Runner Guy hopefully. Runner guy does get priority in my books - but then again I'm not the one dating him.

Anonymous said...

Running at 5am!

*faints*

Are these people insane??

My brain and body don't even function properly until 5 PM (when work finishes... conveniently! lol)

George said...

Hey SG should have said loser of an ex-boyfriend because it makes me wanna think that the boyfriend is now current because he is no longer a loser.

And you think you have problems.

Yvonne said...

ah, we finally get the whole picture. Or more of it, at least. ;)

Hmmmm.
Anyone who would get up at 5am to run every day kind of scares me.
It screams of obsessive vanity and such (at least that's been my experience with folks who are overly obsessed with their bodies!) but that's just me, your friendly Devil's Advocate. ;)
(Plus I think I'd be peeved if I happened to be with a guy who would rather get up at 5am and run than snuggle in bed with me!)

Um, no option C?

Jenn O'Neil said...

Go out with runner guy....he didn't ask your friend out first.

Then go out to coffee with old work guy and see how that is too.

No need to pick one.

Victoria said...

Likalia,
No, he's just tired of me trying to set him up with girls who are in the physical area. As in, if we hang out with a bunch of people and girls are there I say "ooh, how about her?" ; )

Jenn, I have thought about that, but I don't know if I have the energy to hang out with two guys. It's so much work to be that charming! No, yeah, I guess that's fair, something non-date like with both. Perhaps. ; )

Ryan, I KNOW! I really don't get it.

George, sorry George! Ex. Ex ex ex! ; )

Yvonne,
Yeah, some of it at least....
So far, no option C. And I'm not worried about the early morning runs. Way I see it, were I ever to sleep with him I'd get two extra hours of bed time all to myself while he ran and then since he was up anyway he could start breakfast, right? Heh. And it's not every day. Still crazy though : )

Or, as SG said "Yeah, crazy FIT!"

Heh

Victoria said...

Abs Jenn, no need to pick one? Hmmm... you're tricky! ; )

Emma Gorst said...

It definitely is your lucky day. Runner dude sounds hot... and meeting up with both would be good for the ego.

Yvonne said...

I love how your mind works! Waking up to coffee and breakfast already made. hehe
Okay, he may be worth a try. ;)

Victoria said...

*giggle* ; )

Jenn said...

Something about Runner Guy just screams "yummy!!" to me!

Victoria said...

lol

The Single Girl said...

If nothing else you should have a coffee with runner guy. He emailed you right away after hearing from super spy set up girl. That has to be worth a coffee, at least. Doesn't it?
I know I said go out with super spy guy, but runner guy sounds more your style. So go out with both. What is there to lose? Hee hee.

Victoria said...

Heh.

cocoa_no_gogo said...

Why can't it just be a "date" and not "dating". If I were single, I would be going on "dates" with everyone who was willing. (In fact, even though I'm married I might start dating again.)

If nothing else it's good practice. And you can always say no to the second/third date.

Pace yourself.

Victoria said...

Ahh hah hahahah hah.

Sorry. I just found your "even though I'm married" quote massively hilarious. It could be the cold medicine. ; )

I hear what you're saying though, I do. It's just dates take energy and I don't got much. Wait, am I saying I'm too lazy to date? Um.. yeah, probably. All that being nice and stuff... ; )

Jenn O'Neil said...

No need to pick one right now....that's what I meant. In the grand scheme of things I'm all for monogamy.

Victoria said...

I figured as much. ; )