Tuesday 7 October 2008

And Now For Your Weekend Update


So I went to this fun dinner party potluck get-together thing this weekend. And while I didn't know too many people there (other than the friends I carpooled with), I was pretty sure the people would be cool. Plus, I figured, there might just be some single boys there as a bonus.

Which, there were. Was. (Singluar. One.)

And since I was driving and still recovering from the cold that came back (the very next day...I thought it was a goner but the cold came back, it just wouldn't stay awaaaaaaay) I had me one drink that I nursed and then I stopped. While everyone else kept on drinking.

Which, sometimes can be really annoying, but in this case was really amusing. (Oh house parties, I've forgotten what fun you were)

But anyway.

As we were leaving, the single fellow ( who is from this moment named Jake because I just decided so and now I'll never know who the heck I was talking about because Jake? I don't know anyone called Jake.) came up and grasping my hand asked if I was around tomorrow. And when I nodded yes he proceeded to suggest that we, him, myself, the hostess and her hubby, get together and have dinner. Sure, I nodded and then extricated my hand from his, mildly amused and flattered.

I then went and thanked my friend for having us over and whispered to her that Jake was going to talk to her about some dinner and....

She told me "Yeah, he's been drinking" and she kind of laughed.

But before I got to the car, he found me again. "Come back, we'll put on music and talk." he insisted. But I explained that no, I still had to recover from my cold, but thanks. (And before you all tell me I should have, let me just point out that he lives in Vancouver and I am not not not, I promised, not going to do a long distance thing again.)

And Jake didn't call the next day, nor was any dinner arranged, and that's fine, because it was still flattering in its own way. It's been a while since a straight drunk guy asked me out.

So there you go. I had decent, interesting conversation with a nice guy who doesn't live in town and once he was drunk, he asked me out.

There's part of me that wonders what would have happened if I'd been as drunk as he. Might I have stayed and "listened to music"? Might I have insisted he take my number and call me the next day? I don't have any great desire to know, I'm just mildly amusedly curious.

Also? This weekend sure goes to show; you do need to be careful what you wish for. Or maybe you just need to be really specific.

Keep up the good work Universe.

(And the moral of the story today boys and girls is this: Don't go asking a girl out when you're drunk unless you're going to do something about it when you're sober. Amen.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He probably figured you werent interested since you blew him off. Drunk or not if you showed enough interest back Im sure he would have taken you out.

Ms Behaviour said...

VANCOUVER is NOT LONG DISTANCE! Sheesh.

Sorry, I needed to just get that out of my system. I spent years in a Toronto-Vancouver long distance relationship. It was not great but it would have been nice to at least have the option to see him on weekends. I would totally do the Vancouver-Victoria thing because it would add a level of anticipation missing from dating these days. I have good friends who are now married who only saw each other once on weekends for years and it was a really good way for them to build their relationship. Slowly, meaningfully and purposefully.

[end rant]

Victoria said...

Anonymous, could be! (My girlfriend talked to him a couple of days ago and he's still interested so maybe next time he's in town. Apparently the next day he didn't "resurface" til well past dinner time. D'oh!)

EB, I hear you, but I promised my girlfriends that my next relationship would be in Victoria since my last three (four?) have been long distance, including my last (Victoria, New Brunswick!) ;)

Ms Behaviour said...

Holy crap, that is far! At least there are flights between Toronto and Vancouver practically every hour and more than one airline to choose from. The time difference between BC and NB must have been crazy. 3 hours worked out perfectly for us. He was just getting home when I was going to bed so he'd say goodnight and tuck me in. Sometimes I miss having someone to talk to when I'm in lying bed.

Victoria said...

Yeah, other than the $1500 flights, the time difference was the suckiest part. I'd have to rush home from work to talk to him before his bedtime or else keep him up til 1 am talking. I know what you mean about missing someone to talk to when you're lying in bed though. :/