Monday 15 December 2008

From the Outside

So we had our staff Christmas party this weekend (which is kind of fun when you're a spy, because everyone comes in spy disguise, and you can hardly recognize anyone. I went dressed as me, by the way, which threw everyone off) and I had a great time.

I'm usually not a big fan of Christmas parties, but I've been at this office long enough to really like everyone and we all needed to hang out and have fun together, so I decided to get a ride with someone who wasn't planning on staying that long in case I wanted to leave early.

Turns out I was one of the later leavers; it was so much fun. I don't usually drink around my co-workers, but decided a vodka and cranberry wouldn't hurt. And when I was done that one, I just handed my glass to the (dishy) co-worker I have a kindergarten crush on (unrequited due to his long time girlfriend, but I can still enjoy his company ) and told him that no, I wasn't driving, so it didn't matter how strong he mixed it.

And before I knew it I was kicking some Guitar Hero butt (while dancing and looking like a rock star thank you very much) and losing at pool (except for those five fluke shots in a row) and then singing Christmas carols, having completely forgotten that I tend to be shy and don't like to sing in front of people who might be better than I am.

And as one of my (newer) co-workers was leaving, she looked at me, this big smile on her face and said "Victoria? You're a ton of fun." which was a pretty cute thing to say, since I know exactly what she meant. We have to maintain a certain level of professionalism at work and it's nice to see each other in a different, relaxed light.

And the best part for me was being able to observe myself through their eyes. (I have this weird ability every once in a while to see myself as others see me rather than through my own often insecure thoughts.) And do you know what you guys? I'm pretty awesome.

I'm fun and I'm funny. I'm nice, and I'm pretty, and I'm good at a lot of different things. I sing, I dance, I'm good at sports. Somehow what I got out of the night is that I'm more than a good catch, I'm an awesome catch, and some guy's going to be very very lucky to be with me.

So, all in all, the staff party, for me, was a great success. I had fun, got to have fun with my co-workers and see them as more than just seriously hard working spies, and I got to see myself as the awesome chick I am.







(And in completely unrelated news, apparently this is my seven hundred and seventy seventh post. 777. That's pretty cool if I say so myself. Thanks to those of you who've been around for most of them. You guys rock.)

9 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

Wow that's a lot of blog entries! I've barely made it halfway.

Laura said...

Woohoo! Yay for self-confidence. I kind of can't believe you're single, actually.

In unrelated news, I suck at typing out whole posts and publishing them in one sitting, so that post I said you inspired? Yeah, still in draft format. One day I'll finish it.

lexiloo said...

sounds like fun! way better than the times when someone drinks too much and makes an ass of them self (never been me, i wouldn't know anything about this!)

Anonymous said...

I'm more of a newbie reader, but maybe some day I'll get back to reading all your 777 posts!

I say, "You go girl!" I need to mooch some of your self-confidence! It's awesome. Too often we're taught that self-confidence is the same as arrogance, but there's a distinct difference - rock it!

Victoria said...

EB, it doesn't seem like a lot to me since I can only really remember the last two or so that I wrote but it sure sounds like a lot! ;) Tee hee.


Laura, sometimes I can't believe I'm single either! LOL ;) *giggle*
And I look forward to the finished post whenever it gets here! :)

Lexiloo, good thing it's never been you in that situation (large wink) heh

SG, don't do it all in one sitting, you'd go blind! ;)
But, yes, you're right on the difference between arrogance and confidence. Very different :)

Anonymous said...

Here I was thinking that it was about time you updated after going away.. only to discover that my RSS feed hasn't updated and there were three posts waiting!

Technology, eh?

I've had the "Good catch" realisation too. The trouble is, it always seems followed by "when I meet the right person" followed by a certain amount of impatience that it hasn't already happened :o)

Ah well. "One day", eh?

Victoria said...

Technology is great....until it isn't! ;)

And, yes, One day, for sure! :)

Yvonne said...

I always knew you were awesome. ;)

Victoria said...

Awwwwww thanks! *grin*