Wednesday 10 December 2008

Scent of Childhood


Do you ever stop and think about how weird it is that we can remember smells?

Or that smells can remind us of things?

Maybe "weird" isn't the right word.

Maybe "amazing" is.

Or "awesome".

Every time I look at this picture, it makes me think of Strawberry Shortcake and the one doll I had: Lemon ...something. (Or was it Apricot something. Or, wait, maybe Peach? I just remember she wore white.)

And I can *just about* smell her.

Just from looking at a picture.

Weird. Cool.*


*D'you know the smell I mean? Just a hint of plastic underneath the sweetness?

10 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

God yes! But my mother never let me have Strawberry Shortcake dolls. It's probably a good thing as I'm now grown up and edumacated enough to know that smell is VOCs offgassing from plastics and is BAD.

Likalia said...

Your picture reminds me of scratch-n-sniff stickers. Like the Strawberry Shortcake ones I had. :)

GF Girl said...

They still exist - those stickers - we hand them out to the kids we see. Now I understand why I love them more then they do, it's nostalgia.

Alexandreena said...

Oh, yes. Smells remind me of things/ people very frequently. Cool, I think.

Victoria said...

EB, good thing I didn't sniff it too much then eh? ;)

Likalia, I had the awesomest sticker collection!!!!! Woooo hooo! And I loved scratch and sniffs, but also puffy ones, 'member?

Jenn, nostalgia's a weird one, but fun!

Alexandreena, it really is pretty cool... :)

lexiloo said...

totally know the smell, you described it so well in your footnote, it came back to me!

Laura said...

This has inspired a similar post! Should be up in a little while. Thanks for the great idea!

Victoria said...

Lexi, that's so cool! :D

Yay Laura :)

Jenn O'Neil said...

I love that we can remember smells and that just one smell can bring back a memory so strong that you swear it happened yesterday.

Hope you are well!

Victoria said...

It's pretty awesome!

And, yes, I'm doing well. Thanks :)