Monday 30 March 2009

Earth Hour

I remember, last year, when Earth Hour came around, I sat in my Mum and Dad's living room with them and my sister in law and we lit some candles and we sat around and talked.

It was nice. And relaxing. And it was nice to all be there with each other, instead of someone being off in another room doing something else.

And I remember at the time thinking that I was glad we'd all been there for it.

This year, I was home alone for Earth Hour and it was just as nice.

I stared out the window for a while and there was something about being in a dark apartment that was completely relaxing.

When I eventually put the lights back on, I felt calmer and happier than I had before and it really made me think about the light based visual stimuli I'm constantly surrounded by. Other than being asleep, I can't think of a time when I just sit and do nothing in the relative dark.

I liked it.

I think I'm going to do it again.

Maybe even fairly regularly.

Cool.

10 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

Sorry, please pardon my comment retardation!

Victoria said...

Ta da!

Victoria said...

:)

Ms Behaviour said...

Okay, so back to my original comment (duh), what happened to your previous post about this little piggy went to market? I can see it in my reader but it seems to be lost in the cybermuda triangle...

Michael Colvin said...

Earth Hour? What planet have I been on?

Mark said...

Yeah, I managed to miss that as well. That's alright though, I turn my lights off almost every day :)

And I have to agree with the hanging out in the dark. My favourite has always been wandering away from the fire when camping. Especially on the Juan de Fuca where you can sit on the rocks and watch the moonlight on the surf. In the mountains is beautiful too when there's snow on the ground; everything stays so clear in the dark against the brightness of the snow. It's a loverly experience.

AprilPhire04 said...

I completely missed Earth Hour this year!!

I'm not too concerned tho, as I hold "no electronics" night each week in my house. Once you are home, the only electronics you are allowed ON are the phone(s) and a radio. Everything else must be turned off completely. I haven't received my hydro bill yet, so am not sure if it makes a difference, but it is fun to try to find things to do that do not involve a computer or the TV!

Victoria said...

EB, sometimes when I set a post to post in the future (which isn't as weird as it sounds) it posts it right that second. And then I'm like "no, no, I don't want it posted right now, I want it posted next Thursday (or whatever) but Blogger gets all weird and, yeah. Sorry! It's totally a type of cybermuda triangle!

Michael, er, a... different one? ;)

Mark, you've made me want to do nothing more than go camping. Right. NOW! *happy sigh*

AmyS, next year! :) And I love the idea of the no electronics night! Awesome. And it'll be totally cool to see if it impacts your Hydro bill!

Laurene said...

i am starting to like the dark as well. in the bathroom, i turn out the lights more often now. that's weird since before, i used to be scared that a ghost or a demented bloody lady will suddenly appear and strangle me. :'D

Victoria said...

Eee hee heee!