Saturday 4 April 2009

I Had a Title For This Post, But I Forgot It


I love books.

In fact, when I had to take a couple of days off after the accident, I think I read three books in two days. (Or possibly three and a half, if I think about it.)

A few years ago, however, I found myself no longer wanting to read books that were sad. Or depressing. Or dark. Or any sort of angsty. (Although, I've found I can easily handle some teen angst, as those of you who follow my reading list may have noticed.) I like my books to be entertaining, and if they can make me smile, all the better!

Right now, I'm racing through a couple of series that I'm really enjoying (one being the Sookie Stackhouse novels.) The thing I least look forward to with a series, is coming to the last book. It's like so many of my favourite t.v. shows seem to be ending right now (no more BSG, *sob*) and I didn't want to watch them so they'd last longer, but I wanted to see how they'd end.

It's the same with these book series. I want them to last, so I don't want to read them, but I can't help but read them so I know what happens next.

Ahhhhhh, books. I love you guys.

Got any fun, light, or non-depressing sort of books you'd recommend? (I'll read Sci-Fi/Fantasy too, so don't be afraid to throw them in there.)

13 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

I was so sad when Harry Potter ended :(

Victoria said...

I know! *sniffle* :(

Mark said...

I was gutted when BSG ended... best show on TV!

Likalia said...

Sadly I feel like I am not reading anything lately, I am about half way through the book I started in March and it is a light read. :S

If you haven't read them before the Desden Novels by Jim Butcher are good and light, they are about magic, demons, vampires, et al. :)

Mark said...

I'm quite the opposite. I don't often like fiction. I prefer to learn something or have more questions in my head by the time I'm done.

The exception is the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett. Never learned a damn thing from it, but it's a terribly entertaining series. You really should start back at the beginning with The Colour of Magic.

Victoria said...

Mark, couldn't they just do one more BSG season? I kind of bawled all through the final episode btw.

Thanks for the book calls you two!

Laura said...

This is a really light, quick read - I'm really enjoying Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. I haven't finished it yet though so I don't know whether it's a sad one or not! It certainly has sad circumstances in the book (it takes place in post-Taliban Afghanistan) but it's been uplifting so far.

Anonymous said...

Victoria,

No... I think they were right to end it there. How many times have we seen top programmes (I loved the X-Files and 24) go on for far too long when they should have been killed off?

The final ep was awesome. I was a bit gutted though... I thought Lee and Kara might get together... and it turns out she was brown bread all along! Gutted.

Victoria said...

Let me know if it gets weepy Laura!

Mark, I know what you mean about going on a bit long, but still.... Lee and Kara *should* have ended up together, not to mention Laura and Adama. Damnit!

Anonymous said...

Read some Jane Green books! Always light, funny and easy reads. Or Whitney Lyles series (Always a Bridesmaid is the first).

Can you tell I like chick lit? lol If you need more, I can search my bookcase when I get home.

Victoria said...

I've read some Jane Green, but I'll check out the Whitney Lyles! :)

Anonymous said...

And in other news... guess who just got another BSG fix by watching the 2-hour pilot of Caprica... ;-)

Victoria said...

Who did?

;)

Sweet.