Saturday, 4 April 2009

I Had a Title For This Post, But I Forgot It


I love books.

In fact, when I had to take a couple of days off after the accident, I think I read three books in two days. (Or possibly three and a half, if I think about it.)

A few years ago, however, I found myself no longer wanting to read books that were sad. Or depressing. Or dark. Or any sort of angsty. (Although, I've found I can easily handle some teen angst, as those of you who follow my reading list may have noticed.) I like my books to be entertaining, and if they can make me smile, all the better!

Right now, I'm racing through a couple of series that I'm really enjoying (one being the Sookie Stackhouse novels.) The thing I least look forward to with a series, is coming to the last book. It's like so many of my favourite t.v. shows seem to be ending right now (no more BSG, *sob*) and I didn't want to watch them so they'd last longer, but I wanted to see how they'd end.

It's the same with these book series. I want them to last, so I don't want to read them, but I can't help but read them so I know what happens next.

Ahhhhhh, books. I love you guys.

Got any fun, light, or non-depressing sort of books you'd recommend? (I'll read Sci-Fi/Fantasy too, so don't be afraid to throw them in there.)

13 Comments:

Blogger Elusive Butterfly said...

I was so sad when Harry Potter ended :(

Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:56:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

I know! *sniffle* :(

Saturday, April 04, 2009 1:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Mark said...

I was gutted when BSG ended... best show on TV!

Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:04:00 pm  
Blogger Likalia said...

Sadly I feel like I am not reading anything lately, I am about half way through the book I started in March and it is a light read. :S

If you haven't read them before the Desden Novels by Jim Butcher are good and light, they are about magic, demons, vampires, et al. :)

Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:22:00 pm  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm quite the opposite. I don't often like fiction. I prefer to learn something or have more questions in my head by the time I'm done.

The exception is the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett. Never learned a damn thing from it, but it's a terribly entertaining series. You really should start back at the beginning with The Colour of Magic.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:42:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

Mark, couldn't they just do one more BSG season? I kind of bawled all through the final episode btw.

Thanks for the book calls you two!

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:49:00 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

This is a really light, quick read - I'm really enjoying Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. I haven't finished it yet though so I don't know whether it's a sad one or not! It certainly has sad circumstances in the book (it takes place in post-Taliban Afghanistan) but it's been uplifting so far.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 5:56:00 pm  
Blogger Mark said...

Victoria,

No... I think they were right to end it there. How many times have we seen top programmes (I loved the X-Files and 24) go on for far too long when they should have been killed off?

The final ep was awesome. I was a bit gutted though... I thought Lee and Kara might get together... and it turns out she was brown bread all along! Gutted.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 6:06:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

Let me know if it gets weepy Laura!

Mark, I know what you mean about going on a bit long, but still.... Lee and Kara *should* have ended up together, not to mention Laura and Adama. Damnit!

Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read some Jane Green books! Always light, funny and easy reads. Or Whitney Lyles series (Always a Bridesmaid is the first).

Can you tell I like chick lit? lol If you need more, I can search my bookcase when I get home.

Monday, April 06, 2009 3:37:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

I've read some Jane Green, but I'll check out the Whitney Lyles! :)

Monday, April 06, 2009 6:05:00 pm  
Blogger Mark said...

And in other news... guess who just got another BSG fix by watching the 2-hour pilot of Caprica... ;-)

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:37:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

Who did?

;)

Sweet.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.