Saturday 1 August 2009

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmmmm


I didn't know people still did this:

This, being stealing the hood ornament thingies off of cars.

The reason I say "still did this" is that when I was in high school it was apparently the cool thing to do to go around and steal these things and wear them. At the time, I think VW's were hit the most, probably because you could actually hang a chain through them, but more expensive cars like BMWs were popular too.

Well, to be honest, this is all heresay, as I didn't ever run into anyone in my high school with any sort of car ornament jewellery. Nor did I know first hand of anyone who did it or had done it. It was just sort of one of those things you heard about.

Like the condom machine in the third floor boy's washroom. One of those things you only ever heard about.

But, anyway. I didn't know people still went around theiving car ornaments.

I mean, I'm assuming Toyota didn't just skimp on the glue on this guy's car, right?

6 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

Ha ha, what kind of kid is running around wearing a Toyota hood ornament?! My dad's Merc got ripped off a few times when I was little. I think they have since changed the hood ornament but I pay little to no attention to cars unless they're ridiculous. Like personalized plates on a sh*tbox rust mobile. That always makes me laugh.

Victoria said...

I know, right? lol

Jonathan Beckett said...

It happened in the UK all the time in the late 80s and early 90s. It happened because a few of the rap and hip hop artists (if you can call them that) at the time had them hung around their neck.

Victoria said...

Yeah, I just didn't think it was still cool! ;)

Sarah said...

I don't remember anybody wearing car gear in the UK Home Counties, but maybe we were a bit sheltered! However, people were always stealing other people's car bits to replace their own. Much like hub caps. I fight against this behaviour by owning the crappiest car known to man... Insightful blog btw - enjoying it!

Victoria said...

Heh. I have this funny image of a never ending stealing of car bits! I guess that makes some sort of sense, you're missing a hub cap and there's one right there! It just happens to be on someone else's car! D'oh! ;)