Wednesday 7 October 2009

Living Up to the Name


(Please read the first paragraph in a serious voice, as if you're narrating a documentary or something, kay? Kay!)

And now the first in a small but well meant series of posts wherein Victoria actually gives advice and pretends to know what she's talking about.

So, Doodlebug, first and most importantly would like us to give help and support to the Phillippines after the typhoon and flooding and then second typhoon that has devastated the country. Please do what you can and ask others to help as well.

And so while we're send good wishes, Doodlebug would also like advice on "how not to fall or get infatuated on some celebrity or just somebody who is completely out of your reach." So, here goes:

Dear Doodlebug, (This is how you're supposed to start advice columns, right?)
I think celebrity's are the easier one to handle here and my advice would be to remind yourself that the person they are isn't necessarily the person we get to see. So it's a good idea to remind yourself that it's ok to have a crush on a celebrity while remembering that they're not really a "real" person. We tend to have crushes on their media presented personality.

If you tell yourself that and then find you *still* have a crush on them (because maybe you tell yourself that their real personality is even BETTER than their media version, um, not that I've ever done that, ahem) then maybe you could tell yourself little stories about imaginary flaws that they have that would just not make them a good match for you! You know, like how So-and-So never puts the cap back on the toothpaste and therefore is just not worth dating.

As for "real life" people who feel like they're out of your reach, I find it easier to remind myself that we're all on the same level so no one's really out of anyone else's reach. That being said, there are certainly some people whose lifestyles probably won't cross with ours (Brad Pitt, for example, is most likely never going to walk into my workplace, *sigh*) and so it's maybe better to focus on people who are already within our circles, so to speak.

So, in a nutshell (because I'm not sure I'm making much sense), I think if you remind yourself that celebrities are only pretend versions of the real person, almost as if they're a character on a tv show, you can keep the crush at a fun level.

Maybe pretend all celebrities are cartoon characters or something.

Hope that helps,
Victoria


What do you guys think? How do you keep your celebrity/out of your reach crushes from turning into infatuation/I think I love them type situations?

8 comments:

Dominic said...

When reaching for the stars, always remember: They're millions of miles away, so it's completely hopeless, and even if you DID manage it, they'd burn your arm off

Esperanza said...

WOW!!! GOOD stuff Dominic ;)

perfectly put Victoria.

Joel said...

Pretend they’re cartoon characters? I can remember being absolutely infatuated with Rebecca Cunningham from Tailspin when I was a kid. A compassionate entrepreneur, what’s not to like?

Jonathan Beckett said...

Great post. Reminded me of the infatuation I had as a kid with Erin Grey - Wilma - of Buck Rodgers fame (well... fame in our house).

Back in the day, I didn't know why I liked her, but I knew she was better than anybody else on television :) lol

And of course she was totally made up... damn!

Victoria said...

Dominic, I never thought of that!

Thanks Esperanza :)

Sadly enough Joel, I do not know this Rebecca you speak of. Happily enough I have the internet to help me out! :D

Jonathan, I liked the Greatest American Hero guy with the curly red hair. Go figure.

Dominic said...

I have the complete set of GAH on DVD.

It came with a cape.

Believe it or not, I'm walking on air

Anonymous said...

@Victoria this is a really late comment. pardon me. been kinda out of the loop lately.

thank you for spreading the word, for attending to my concern.

i like that. "pretend all celebrities are cartoon characters or something." LOL.

thanks again.

@Dominic hey! thanks for this word of wisdom of yours, "They're millions of miles away, so it's completely hopeless, and even if you DID manage it, they'd burn your arm off."

Victoria said...

You're welcome. Hope all is well :)