Wednesday 14 October 2009

Version Two

This was my first Thanksgiving dinner (or any big family dinner for that matter) where I knew I couldn't eat certain things.*

My sister in law was good about it and cooked the stuffing separate from the turkey and made sure she bought a plain turkey (not basted or flavour injected or anything).

It was still hard though, because I used to love dipping my white dinner roll in the leftover gravy on my plate, and I used to love eating the pie for dessert.

I know these things could have been made gluten free, but you can't really be a guest in someone's house and ask them to completely alter their cooking habits. So, no gravy, rolls, stuffing, or pie for me. *sniff*

So this year I missed out on a few things, but all in all, I was happy to have been there and the turkey was delicious.

Next year I think I'll bring my own pie. Because it just ain't Thanksgiving without pie!

*For those of you new to these here parts, I've got Celiac disease and can't have a lot of traditional, yummy, Thanksgiving-esque foods due to its having gluten.

2 comments:

Toronto furniture said...

Hi. I think it doesn't matter what you eat. The most important thing is that you are with people who love you and enjoy time spent together. My friend has celiac disease too. And she solves the problem exactly how you are suggesting. She brings her own food and everything is all right. Btw there are many tasty recipes on the internet which you can try.

Good luck,
Ella

Victoria said...

That's very true :)