Thursday 27 May 2010

Or Maybe It's Just About Respect


A week or so ago, a hornet somehow got caught inside my apartment.

Well, it could have been a wasp, I don't know, I didn't ask to see any credentials.

And, yes, I'm aware that this photo is of neither a hornet nor a wasp, but I'm allowed some creative freedom here people. In fact, in the spirit of King Henry the 8th, he of whom I've been watching much television of late I hereby declare myself the Supreme Ruler and Duchess of This Blogdom and none of you get to question my yellow/black/flying thing knowledge amen.

Anyhow, somehow the wasp/hornet got itself inside and couldn't find the way back out. Now, I'm pretty good at helping buggy type animals back outside, but when they're stingy type ones (don't tell me hornets/wasps can't sting, I'm the Supreme RULER!) I get a little nervous, so after a couple of attempts at getting him to jump on a magazine and ride it back to an open window I gave up. My solution was to open the window he was batting himself against and close the blind, hoping he'd figure it out and just walk DOWN already.

I didn't see/hear him the next day so I figured he'd made his escape and went on with my day.

Saw him again a few days later though. He hadn't managed to get out at all and I was feeling sorry for him because it was probably four or five days since I'd first seen him and he must be starving and stressed out, not to mention tired.

And tired he was, because I was finally able to coax him onto a piece of paper where he just sat panting until I shook him back outside.

And then he flew away to live happily ever after.

I was proud of him/her for keeping on trying and I was proud of me for helping him finally get back where he was supposed to get instead of either letting him die or squishing him like most people would have done.

I guess it's what I'd hope someone would do for me were the situation somehow reversed or something.

5 comments:

Charles said...

do spiders get the same treatment? i hate spiders.

Victoria said...

If I tell you they do, will you hate me too?

Charles said...

well i don't suppose so... unless that were your goal.... i dont do "hate" that well

Dominic said...

Wasps, I just squash. They're nasty creatures.

Spiders, I generally leave alone.

Bees and hornets, I shoosh back outside. Bees because I like them, hornets because, the size that we get round here, I worry that if I don't let it out pretty quick, it'll just loswe patience and smash through the glass :)

Victoria said...

Nope, not my goal Charles. So, yes, I have to tell you spiders get the same treatment too. Although, I transport them on the end of a Swiffer. ie. Something with a long handle so they're far away from me :)

So Dominic, do you ask the hornets for id to make sure they're not wasps and vise versa? ;)