Saturday 10 July 2010

Woah

Wandered into Chapters yesterday with some friends and a (I seem to remember) female cover of the Jason Mraz song "I'm Yours" came on.

Now, I love this song and was singing along in my brain when it came to the line "It's our God-forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved." I though I'd lost my mind and turned to my friend whose eyes were almost as wide as mine.

Because, you see, Chapters had blocked out "God".

So the line was "It's our (blank) forsaken right" The two of us were stunned. "Did you hear that?" we kept saying to each other "They blanked out God! They blanked out GOD!"

The third of us came running back from the washroom, "Did you guys hear that?" We stood there huddled in amazement and my jaw fell even further to the floor when she told me they'd also blanked the "damn"s out of the song too.

The whole thing kind of blew my mind in a fascinated with people kind of way.

I still don't quite know what to think.

I'm sure those words would offend some people, but did Chapters think they would offend enough people that they didn't want them played in their store? And if so, why didn't they just not play the song.

Maybe you had to be there, but dude. Mind = blown.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Hmmm. I think it's more offensive to block out the word "God" than not to.

Victoria said...

Well, it certainly makes you notice!

Charles said...

Victoria: censorship is for our own good. We must embrace clean living through mental sanitation. Big brother is here to take care of us.

Http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

Very true Charles. The giant screen in my room reminded me so.

Charles said...

My giant screen watches me when I change clothing... It's unnerving.

Any advice on that, single girl? With any luck, your giant screen has the manners to avert it's gaze when u change...

Http://arealgoodblog.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

I hide under or behind large objects while changing.

Kas said...

That's SAD. It shows just how the "FEW" have taken things to the extreme. What about the "MANY" that are OK with the word/entity God. Don't they matter?

Dominic said...

To put it in perspective: The shop may have muted God, but the Romans crucified Jesus ;)

Victoria said...

Guess not Kas. . .

There you go Dominic.