Tuesday 16 November 2010

Royale


I didn't make the time change go any easier for myself this last week.

Even though I'd be tired at what would be my normal bedtime, I'd stay up, telling myself it was like jet lag and I had to adjust.

This would have been fine if I hadn't been reading a book that I couldn't seem to put down.

Now, don't get me wrong, I read every night. It's been my bedtime ritual ever since I was a kid; get ready for bed, get into bed, read until Mom or Dad told me I had to turn my lights out. So fast forward to being an adult and I'm the only one telling me to turn out the lights, which means I often just keep on reading.

And reading.

Which meant that this book, with its long engaging chapters that just made me think I could read one more and *then* go to sleep, had me up until 11 or 12, which, unfortunately, was 12 or 1am to my body (which still didn't know the time change had happened.)

So add onto that a travel weekend and getting all wound up and not the greatest sleeps and I'm tired. It's a recognizable tired though; the tired of not having enough rest and sleep. The tired that comes from a week or more of late late nights and staying awake reading when my body could most likely have been sleeping instead.

I finished the book Saturday night, so am starting to catch up on my sleep.

I hate to say it, but I hope my next few books aren't as interesting and exciting as that one. Hopefully they're just plain good.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

I read the Manga of that book a couple of years ago :)

Victoria said...

Have you also read the book? Was the manga as... intense?

JonTheNiceGuy said...

I have a bit of a dilemma when it comes to my going-to-bed ritual.

See, if I'm reading a book and it grips me, I do what you've done, and, well, it's at least 2 or 3am before I get to sleep.

If I'm programming (which I do occasionally), I've now started coming to bed with the laptop, but with no charger, so at least I know when to stop ("you have 5 minutes until the battery runs out"!)

If I've got neither, then I'll play with my phone until I'm tired... again, it's usually at least 12 before that happens.

Now, this wouldn't be an issue if it was just me in bed, but my wife goes to sleep early (9:30pm normally) and we both get up between 6 and 6:30 most days (or rather, the alarm goes off at 6:30 and my wife has already got up!)

Let's just say my other prompt for when to stop is when she rolls over and says "Are you going to turn that light|phone|computer off any time soon?"

Victoria said...

Yeah, I've often wondered what I'll do once I'm be-husbanded!