Friday 10 December 2010

Seemingly Simple


They've started something new with the mailboxes around here, mainly around the downtown core so far and not all of them, but a few anyway.

They've put two mailboxes together in some places with a sign on each.

I don't remember the exact wording of the sign but the basic message is that one mailbox is for mail staying on the Island and the other mailbox is for any destination NOT on the Island.

They have pictures too. One of the Island and one of the Island with a big line through it a la Non-Smoking sign.

(Now, before you start imagining Vancouver Island as this tiny rural wee island, know that we're almost thirty times larger than Hong Kong and almost the same length as Ireland and we house our Province's Capital. So, we're not small.)

The thing is, the last time I used these mailboxes I got it wrong.

I stood, I read, I looked at the picture, and I *still* managed to put non-island mail into the Island mailbox.

You'd think it'd be super simple.

Or, alternatively, you think I'd be smart.

But I'll get it yet. Those mailboxes won't outwit me for long!

*Shakes fist at sky*

4 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

(Now, before you start imagining Vancouver Island as this tiny rural wee island, know that we're almost thirty times larger than Hong Kong and almost the same length as Ireland and we house our Province's Capital. So, we're not small.)

Well said. I'm going to sue that exact description when people ask me about the Island.

Dominic said...

Never mind, there are people in the world who still manage to push doors with "Pull" written on them..

TL said...

Canada post has it out for me! I regularly send things that do not arrive. (And I don't have a dual mailbox system to contend with).

Victoria said...

I've never done that Dominic, no nope, never, nuh uh. Nope.

I mailed some things once that didn't get there TL. It creeped me out. A lot.