Saturday 22 January 2011

The Date

So I'd been messaging back and forth with this other guy and had told him that if he'd like a break from his studies he could let me know and we could go for a walk on Saturday.

He contacted me on Saturday but I chickened out and didn't meet up with him.

He wanted to meet for coffee and I just couldn't handle the idea of a sit down date. I'm not quite ready for that. I like to meet someone and be out and about, coffee in hand sure, but out and about where you can make eye contact when you want or stare off at the surroundings if you're feeling nervous or shy or uninterested.

I was kind of mad at myself though, because I knew I was being chicken and I'd wanted to be braver than that, so when I heard from him again on Sunday I told him I'd meet him at the coffee place in half an hour and I just made myself go.

I was nervous, sure, my hands were shaking as I got ready, but I think having the other date the week before showed me that a) I *could* do it and that b) it really wouldn't be that bad.

He was a nice guy and it helped that when I met him I could tell he was nervous too. When I saw that I just wanted both of us to be at ease and not worried about making an impression or saying the right thing or anything.

So we walked and we chatted and it was good and I'm glad I, once again, got out of my comfort zone and went on a date.

I still wouldn't say it's my favourite thing, but at least I'm doing it and not *not* doing it just because it's scary.

5 comments:

Duffy said...

Congrats!! Hopefully it'll get easier, but its good to be nervous I think. It shows you care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVbEclPj4c&feature=player_embedded#!

Just Sayin... said...

Proud of you.

Single and Picky said...

Does anyone like dating? Isn't it always sort of awkward? Maybe I'm weird that way - I sure as heck don't think it's fun in the very beginning.

Victoria said...

Thanks Duffy, and what an awesome video!!!

T'anks JS

Yeah, no, awkwaaaaard for sure :)

Victoria said...

I know, right?