Tuesday 1 February 2011

That Time of Year


I know a lot of people have a hard time with January and I understand why. I just happen to have a birthday thrown in there that makes the month a happy one for me. It's February that tends to drag a bit for me, what with there having been no break or holiday since forever ago and the days tend to be on the dark and dreary side which tends to make them metaphorically so as well.

December, January and February are my own personal trifecta of salt in the wound of singleness.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in a relationship during Christmas, my Birthday and Valentine's day and I can count on half of one hand the number of men who've been my boyfriends during that time. ie. Two

Everyone else seems to have missed that time period, or met me just after or somewhere in the middle ala Smith.

It's not that I need a boyfriend to make these months happy, it just so happens that these occasions are one where the lack of a boyfriend tends to have a more profound echo than, say, on Easter.

I don't know, it's not that I'm complaining about a lack of presents or kisses or cards or flowers (although all of those things would be more than welcome) it's more that I start noticing I'm single more at Christmas, and then it sneaks into my birthday and then Valentine's day is the final reminder before it all kind of mellows out again. And I guess I find myself, each year around this time, patting myself on the back consolingly and whispering that maybe next year.

Maybe next year.

12 comments:

SMITHY GALLERY said...

Maybe next week Victoria!

Okay, I'm being optimistic girl today. But it's true, we can meet anyone at any time. That's how it seems to happen for the people around me. Not me though, well not yet . . .

Single and Picky said...

I agree with Natalie, you never know when your "Valentine" will show up. But you know you are fabulous with or without one - so maybe consider it free time to go out with some friends, go to the spa, do something you've always wanted to do, because you can and you deserve it.

And it is sort of that "funk" time of year - the colds, the flus, the decreased daylight etc. So *HUGS* and remember you never know when things will come together - I know I never expected you'd be the one facilitating a wonderful match up. Because of you for the first time in my almost 30 years I will have someone to call mine on Valentine's Day.

Margo said...

Hanging out with my guy friends helped a lot when I was single- just being in the company of men is nice.

Victoria said...

Yeah, maybe next week Natalie. Thanks for being optimistic girl! :)


Oh SnP, your comment made me so happy and smiley and I did that thing where you clasp your hands and tip your head to the side and go "awwwww!" :D


That's true Great(ish) Expectations :)

e said...

If I lived in your city I would ask you on a Valentine's Date! I would love to have coffee and cake at a cute cafe somewhere in Victoria. We could talk about boys, running, books, and life. :)

(ps i'm a girl)

Victoria said...

Awww e, that's a really sweet idea, thanks! I like the idea of hanging with someone on Valentine's Day and eating cake and talking about boys, running, books and life! Thanks. I might just have to find a friend here to do that with. :)

Dominic said...

My birthday's at the end of February, so for me it's January that sucks.

Especially this year, with the broken shoulder and all..

Is it summer yet?

keishua said...

This is so true. I have not spend this season alone in a while. I think I just want someone to cuddle with on cold nights rather than a full time boyfriend.

Chantal_Wannabe said...

A few years ago we had a nice single girls dinner on Valentines day, followed by a night out dancing. It was A LOT of fun!!

Victoria said...

I bet it's extra rough for you Dominic :( Happy birthday in advance though!

Fair enough Keishua :)

Totally sounds fun Chantal :D

Yvonne said...

Dude!
http://www.tourismvictoria.com/eventDetail.aspx?eID=8978

Victoria said...

DUDE!