Tuesday 5 July 2011

Awkward

Caught In It by foundimagination
People always say that Victoria is a small town, but I didn't grow up here, so I've never quite had that experience. I mean, we don't have family friends here and my parents didn't grow up here either so the only people I know are the people I've met since I've moved here.

But I did find myself having a rather awkward "small town" moment this weekend.

I don't know how it works with your job, but in the spy world, there does tend to be a sense of everyone knowing someone and therefore we all kind of know each other. Probably. I mean, more often than not if you meet a spy in this town you know another spy that knows them in that Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way.

I usually allow this to work in my favour when I come across a fellow spy on an online dating site, but it ended up being a little bit uncomfortable this weekend.

See, one of my best friends used to date a spy. In fact, she very nearly married this spy and while I've never met him, I, of course, know a lot about him as this friend and I met right around the time their relationship was breaking up.

In fact, I know more about him than would ever be appropriate to tell him. And not that any of the information is mean or damaging, but... well, I just know stuff.

Which meant I didn't know what to say when this guy randomly messaged me this weekend.

"Hey!" he said. "The spy world is pretty small, I'd be surprised if I don't know you and I'd love to chat!"

Which, really, is very nice and all, but... um.... how am I supposed to say "Well actually, Steve, I know YOU because I'm best friends with one of your exes and let me tell you I think you should have let her keep the furniture when you guys split up. So really, I think it's probably not the best plan for us to chat, but hey, good luck!"

Awk. Ward.

So, yeah, my first real experience of small town syndrome has left me feeling like rather a creep. Or maybe a stalker. Or something. D'oh!

7 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

I wouldn't say any of that.

As the unwritten g/f rules goes, he's off limits. Knowing what you know etc.

I wouldn't reply or simply say thanks for the interest but I'm going to pass at this time.

If he presses it a little more, then tell him, he dated your friend.

Good luck.

Victoria said...

Gotcha

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Awkward! I had a similar experience yesterday when I discovered that one of the staff members on my ward (who I work with a lot) is someone I went on a date with a few years ago. The dating world is too small sometimes.

Victoria said...

Totally SD! Yikes ;)

Dominic said...

Or, you know, you could go on a date with him and pretend to have psychic powers :)

Unknown said...

Oh! That could be fun! Hahahah Kidding!

Victoria said...

Dominic! I wish I'd thought of that! Evilly hilarious :)

It's a funny thought though Heather, for sure! ;)