Friday 15 July 2011

Mine

I realized something today... the women I call my friends? The women I choose to surround myself with? Are amazing.

And this says something about me, that I'm surrounded by such amazing female friends.

I guess I've always sort of known this about my friends, but it really struck me the other day.

I was out after work with a former co-worker of mine, a new friend I'd guess you'd say, and we were in a sports store looking at run gear.

"I'm not sure if I like these shorts, I think they'll make my thighs look big" I said.

And my friend stopped and looked at me. "So?" she said.

"Well," I said, "then when you're running a 10K and they take your picture you look horrible because your run shorts make your thighs look really big!" (I know this from experience, the 10K photo they caught of me this year was really unflattering)

And she cocked her head and me and said "Yeah, but you're running a 10K, so who cares? I've never run a 10K, so who gives what you might look like, you're running a frigging 10K!"

Now this girl is fit. She played soccer in University, she still plays soccer now so it blew my mind a little that she'd say that.

"But you're super fit, you run" I said.

"Yeah, but short bursts," she replied, "I could never run a 10K. Give yourself some credit. Buy the shorts. Be comfortable."

I didn't get the shorts in the end, but as I sat at home that night thinking about what she'd said I was struck by just how awesome my friends are. They're strong, beautiful, kind, dynamic, supportive, fun, good people.

I think what I came to realize that night is that my friendships with these amazing women are more than just co-incidence. They are conscious choices.

So while I've been lucky to have met them in the first place, I'm proud that I've chosen to keep them in my lives. I have great women as my friends and I'm proud that I can say that.

5 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

Absolutely LOVE this post!

YAY to your friends! Woot woot!
It is a reflection of you, who you have in your life.

I remind myself of that often and make the changes I need too, to be happy with those I call "friend".

Excellent Excellent post!

Single and Picky said...

PS I will let you in on a secret about those race photos - they're up shots, they'll never be accurate and they're almost always unattractive. There have been two maybe in all my races that don't make me want to hide in my house and never come out.

That being said, who the hell cares, honey you're "amazing just the way you are"(just like JS).

As an aside if you don't like running in shorts, try a running skirt - I prefer them because I'm more voluptuous on the bottom and I find shorts are harder to fit right

Victoria said...

Awww, thanks JS! :)

Good point SnP, they'll probably never be flattering photos, will they? And, yes, I've considered a running skirt.... maybe ;)

Yamuna said...

Haven't been reading your blog in a while since I've been travelling, but I'm catching up now :)

Oh, and I've decided to jump on the blogging bandwagon. I'll try to keep it interesting, but I can't promise anything! :)

http://ofwhimsandthings.blogspot.com/

Yamuna

Victoria said...

Hey, good for you!!!! :D