Thursday 26 April 2012

More Than Words


Extreme - More Than Words 

I can't hear this song without being taken back to high school.

Not only did I find the guitarist to die for good looking and dreamy, (and, er, can I just say that re-watching the video, I'm still thinking the same thing?) but it was the perfect song to play over and over while thinking about the boy I had a crush on.

I can't remember anymore who it was, but I'm sure with a yearbook in hand, I could probably take a few guesses. What I do remember is listening to this song and knowing the two of us should be together. That nothing was more perfect than this song and what it meant about us and how desperately I wanted him to ask me out.

So it was a nasty surprise to go over to one of my best friend's houses and to have her tell me that she and the boy were now dating. (If that was even the term she used. She probably said "he asked me out" or that they were boyfriend/girlfriend now or something.)

I remember her telling me that and that when they'd talked on the phone (do teenagers do that anymore?) he'd told her that this was their song.

Their song.

I was devastated.

It was my dream and somehow someone else had ended up with it and not only a random someone, but my friend, my really really good friend and I started trying to figure out what was better about her than me.

She was cuter than I was, I decided. In a cute, I want to pinch your cheeks kind of way. And she didn't have bad skin like I did, of course. Why would I have assumed he'd ever have liked me anyway.

Somehow, I distinctly remember where I was standing when she told me this fact, that it was *their* song. I was at her front door, the door of her new house with the sheep in the back yard, on my way home.I think my Mom was waiting in the car.

Teenage pain is awful. It's so real and everything seems like the end of the world. (Especially the boy you love loving someone else.) Which is maybe not so different from adult pain.We just know it's not the end of the world, it just feels like it for a while.I wish I could go back in time and tell that teenage me that one day I wouldn't even remember his name.

And now, thinking on it, I wonder if it was Kelsey.

And if it was Kelsey, he went on to date another of my very good friends.

But maybe it wasn't Kelsey and I just had the bad luck of always liking guys who ended up going out with my friends.

(Also? I just looked up the singer fellow and he's still completely dishy! Nuno Bettencourt for those who are interested.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this CD too. A couple of friends got married in the early 90's and this was their first song.

Sorry, no fond memories of crushes associated with the song, just a fun CD to listen to. Still have it on my iPhone, along with lots of other big hair bands from the 80's that bring back great memories...and their songs still rock...my kids like most of them.

Do you remember Nuno's failed Van Halen experiment? No? That's good...Sammy and David were much better.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

It *was* a great song! :)

No, I don't remember a Van Halen experiment, probably better that way ;)

Anonymous said...

My bad...it was Gary Cherone, the lead singer not Nuno the guitarist that had the bad Van Halen experiment. Right band, wrong band member.

I guess I need to brush up on my 80's rock band trivia...

Victoria said...

Lol!

Annie said...

Pain sucks, whether it's teenage or 32-year-old pain :(

Yes, this song! He IS hot, isn't he? He married an Australian singer, Suze DeMarchi who has a fantastic, fantastic voice. She sang with a band called the Baby Animals in the 90s, they were huge here for a while. Real 90s rock. I love them still!

Victoria said...

That's true Annie, pain sucks all round :/

And, yes, super hot! :D