Friday 22 June 2012

The Story, Part The Rest That Wasn't

Of All The Photos I Took Today, I Liked This One The Most by foundimagination
So then the cake was cut and the families start heading home and D. disappears again, and my brain alternates between the snarky "man, he just doesn't leave [friend's wife]'s side does he" and "geez, is he helping tidy up too? I wonder if he's really that nice of a guy to help cook and clean?"

After a while we all gather around the fire pit and start a (somewhat illegal, shhhh) fire (ahhhh fire) and I don't even know what we're talking about but by then I'm getting along like gangbusters with some other guy (married and older, but still, totally fun) and when Dorkface comes to join us, there's no open space next to me, so he ends up two seats over, directly out of eyesight.

Shrug.

The music runs out and someone says we should sing and he says he has his guitar (of course he does, he's cute) but instead, he puts on his shuffle and all his music rocks.

So then I'm sitting there loving song after song and half wondering if he's noticing that I'm loving song after song and half wishing I was drunker and sitting next to him so that when the smoke started blowing in my eyes, I could lean away from it and into him and make some kind of comment and we'd just start talking.

Because I think I'd smile if we did.

But I try not to get hung up on that and I just enjoy the evening and at some point I decide it's time to take myself home, as the only sober one left and the only one who's not either staying the night or walking home from there, I head out, and by the time I'm pulling down the street I'm grumpy.

I'm grumpy that Dorkface (which is a milder version of the name I gave him on the drive home that night) didn't make an effort to talk to me. Grumpy that this didn't go the way house parties used to go for me - with me ending up with this guy and that guy wanting to talk and me only wanting to talk to the one. With someone getting my number or someone and I sitting somewhere with just the two of us talking until I realized my friends were desperate to go home but not wanting to interrupt us.

As much as I love the campfire circle thing and yes, my jacket still smells like smoke all these days later, it wasn't conducive to talking or seeing anyone other than the person directly next to you.

I was pretty quiet, Dorkface was pretty quiet, the other hilarious guy was so quiet I actually forgot he was there, and despite the quieter ones of us, the conversation was lively and entertaining.

There were good people there, and I'm glad I got to meet more of my friend's friends.

And even the moment when I realized one couple was good friends with my ex DD only dampened my spirits so much.

So, there you go.

I met another cute, single guy.

I don't think he was interested. (In fact, I'm pretty sure he wasn't.)

It's a bummer. Such is life.

The end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I've tried to come up with some witty hockey analogy to go with the baseball one from yesterday, but it's been a long week and my mind is blank (other than he missed the dump-in, but that's lame). Bummer.

All I've got is have a good weekend.

- Elliott

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of something my husband once told me: If a man wants to talk to, call, pursue or date a woman, NOTHING will prevent him from doing so. He will do all of those things if he is interested. He won't need any hints or subtlety from said woman, and she won't need to do anything to "remind" him she's in the room, or on the planet because he won't be able to forget her if he has an interest. Sorry this guy didn't fit that description this time, but someday, one guy WILL. And for the record, my husband went out of his way EVERY day to let me know he was interested in talking, calling, pursuing, dating and eventually marrying me. There was never any doubt he was interested.

Victoria said...

Totally Elliott, he was not playing whatever sports related metaphor he should have!!!!

Happy weekend indeed :)

That's so so true Anonymous. He wasn't interested. . . and I too hope to have that (again) some day.