Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Story

Before the Breath by foundimagination
So yeah, I was at a social gathering this weekend.

I suppose this is the new reality: going to events where there are kids for the first few hours, and then they clear out and the child-less adults are left. Can you call that a party? I guess so.

There was even cake.

My friend had invited me a long while ago... well, actually, he'd had my friend invite me. I guess I've chickened out of going to barbeque's at his place before (I really am pretty shy) and I think he knew that if I knew my co-worker was going, I'd feel safer going. Which I totally did.

"And [my wife's] cute co-worker Dorkface (names changed to protect the innocent) will be there!"

Which half made me not want to go. So I tried to ignore the fact.

It helped to not talk or think about it, as I was nervous enough about going in the first place, so by the time I showed up at my friend's place, I'd convinced myself that Dorkface wouldn't be cute anyway, he'd be the kind of "cute" your friends tell you about when they're trying to be nice. As in, "he has a nice personality" kind of cute.

But when I walked in, there was a cute guy in the kitchen and my first thought was "oh geez, please let that not be him because if it turns out he's someone's husband I'll be disappointed" but that didn't make sense because my brain immediately after said "I wonder if that is him" and then I went and hid in a corner.

Almost literally.

3 comments:

Janee said...

...and? :)

Victoria said...

To be continued... ;)

Unknown said...

oh good! a cliffhanger!

drumming my fingers impatiently ...

Canadian Anne in England