Wednesday 4 July 2012

For June

So it's July now (not sure how June went so quickly?) and I didn't even get to tell you my favourite June-related story. So, I'm just going to have to tell it a few days late is all.

My Mom and I (and possibly the rest of my family, I don't really know) have always had this thing around the weather in June.

At some point, who knows when, my Mom said "it's chilly for June!" and it just kind of caught on.

As the years went on we'd say it at any time it was strangely cold just for a giggle. Middle of December, massive snow storm? "Brrr, chilly for June."

But this June in particular was... really quite chilly.

As in, I've not worn flip flops. In fact, I've worn my winter boots and been just fine temperature wise.

So there was a lot of opportunity this month to say "chilly for June". Like, pretty much every day.

Which got me thinking.

Maybe June in the Pacific Northwest is always a bit on the cooler than expected side, and maybe that was unusual enough for my Mom (who didn't grow up in Canada) to notice that the weather was chillier than she was used to for "summer."

Maybe June just isn't the warm month we mentally expect it to be here?

Granted, this wasn't a usual June I don't think (would have to check the records and am currently not motivated enough for that) but yeah, maybe it's never a scorcher?

Nonetheless. It certainly was "Chilly for June" this month, that's for sure.

What about you? Are you in the mythical "roasting hot" zones I keep hearing about? Or are you still enjoying a blanket in the evenings like I am?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,

Chalk one up for the ridiculous heat. It's been an oven in Central Ontario (hour east of Toronto) for almost three weeks. June started out on the chilly side - we keep track of the warmth if we can wear shorts while golfing - and I know I had pants on a few times early in the month. But not now. It's been pushing 40C with the humidity for two full weeks and we don't have air conditioning in our house (we have just over two acres and house is surrounded by trees, so it's not too bad).

I'm traveling this week and staying between Quebec and Montreal...it's in the mid-20's here - much better.

Hope it warms up on the coast for you.

- Elliott

Bad.Days said...

In Calgary June is generally our wettest month (even though we love to complain about how wet and cold it is "this year"), so we were with you on the chilly. I had my winter comforter on my bed until last weekend, and this first week without it has left me a little cool at night.

Victoria said...

Yikers Elliott! I don't terribly mind the not-so-hotness. I still get sunshine and long days :)

That sounds familiar Bad Days!

Anonymous said...

I am in Cambridge, England where it has been raining for months. I have yet to wear sandals.
My heating (set at 16c) is stilling coming on late in the evening.

I have been here since '97 & have yet to be cold in the winter or hot in the summer but one expects once June arrives that one can wear summer frocks without a cardy (see how Brit I have become?).
Canadian Anne

Victoria said...

That sounds chilly for sure Anne! (And you've become very Brit!) :)