Friday 13 July 2012

Just Sayin'

Most of us are aware of a very helpful thing many smartphones do when you're typing - they can autocorrect your mistakes.

I think Word has done this in a very simple way for years, because as someone who often types faster than my fingers can manage, I have seen "teh" magically turned into "the" when I'm done typing it a few gazillion times.

So it's nice to be texting away to a friend and see that the phone is correcting your "ie" spelling mistake, or throwing in that extra "l" you forgot about, but sometimes, your phone is too smart for your own good and corrects a word you didn't want corrected.

Like, these phones try to sometimes guess what it is you want them to say and/or correct a word you've goofed up spelling and so that, occasionally leads to mistakes, often hilarious ones.

(I'm pretty sure I've already shown you this, but in case you missed it, here's an entire website devoted to hilarious and/or cringe-worthy auto correct mistakes.)

So now that we're all on the same page, let me tell you a little story that happened last weekend.

I don't know how many of you remember, but a few years ago, I had a crush on a really cute temp spy worker, and we went out on a couple of "coffee dates" and then he talked about his "partner" and then I found out he was gay and then we became good friends? Yeah, so buddy and I go for wanders along the waterfront on warm, sunny days, and this weekend was full of warm sunny days so he sent me a text.

Walk later?

Sounds good, I'm ready whenever.

OK. I'll be over in ten.

During the time it takes him to drive over, I'll throw on my runners and sunscreen and outside-of-the-house clothes if I've still not changed out of my pjs (what, it's the weekend, what else are weekends for?) and then he'll send me a text to let me know he's here. It's usually funny because I can hear him beeping his car locked as I get the text saying "here."

So this time, I glanced down at his text as I heard his car lock beep and burst out laughing when I read "heterosexual."

Not only was it a pretty darn good autocorrect (you miss the "r" in here, and I guess your phone decides you were going for a much longer word?) but it was my one gay friend and it was almost as if he was calling it like he sees it! Yo, hetero friend, I'm here, let's go! Awesome.

I could honestly not stop laughing as I tied up my shoes and headed down the stairs. He was cracking up too, and we probably laughed at it for a solid five minutes.

Heterosexual.

Yes, yes I am.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

See... now my bizarre brain is running with the idea of how a gay guy and a lesbian girl might cancel each other out... you know, like boolean logic.

Ok. Time to switch my brain off. lol

Victoria said...

Yes, I think maybe your brain needs to go night night!