Saturday 22 September 2012

Scratching My Head

Finding My Way Out by foundimagination
Ok, so let's say you're really bored in the movie your husband dragged you to and so you decide to send a few texts to your friend.

Or maybe the babysitter texted to let you know little Billy threw up twice but is asleep now and everything's ok.

I understand, I suppose...if I stretch my understandingness, that sometimes people may need to use their phones to communicate during a movie (even though I remember, back in the day, you young whippersnappers, when we would not be in contact with people when we were out of the house and LIFE WENT ON! but anyway.)

But see, I don't understand why you wouldn't at least silence your phone.

C-Dawg and I were at a movie a while ago and it was this very intense scene. The bad guys had kidnapped the good guys' girl and they were waiting, tensely, to hear from them.

In the movie, the bad guys had just sent an email and then I heard them get a text message too.

Except no one in the movie went to check their phone and I was all, you guys! You're missing a text! What if it's from her?

But then I heard the "someone sent a text sound" and it started to become clear that it wasn't from the movie soundtrack.

No.

It was the woman in the row behind me texting.

Which, as I say, perhaps it was an emergency, but why hadn't she put her phone on silent? It's really easy to do, especially with an iPhone like she had.

Could she not hear the text noises? Could her date/husband/partner?

It just seemed so....un-cool.

I guess I should be grateful no one called her during a sad scene?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, such things are very tiresome. Makes me wonder who raised these people. Do parents no longer teach manners to their children? Over here, in England young people are very badly behaved, shouting, shoving and these are students I see every day on their way to a very posh fee paying school. http://www.perse.co.uk/
I was recently waiting for a pal who works in a government office here. Many in the waiting room where there is a large sign 'turn off mobile 'phones'. That boring ring tune was heard repeatedly.
I despair ... Cdn Anne in Cambridge UK

Victoria said...

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?
Maybe cell-phone-manners weren't taught because.... it seems too obvious? *sigh*

RandomStranger said...

What movie were you watching? Haha.

And yes, I get annoyed when people text even with the silent mode on - the glow of the cell phone is so distracting!
Whatever happened to the good old days when you could go to a movie or concert and not spend half the time checking your phone? Sigh.

Victoria said...

I believe it was Savages.

And,yes, live used to be just fine without being glued to a phone you know! I go for hours and hours without checking mine! GASP! ;)