Wednesday 2 July 2014

Try Not To Think About It

Umm... I totally forgot what I was going to write about.  Oh, no, wait, there it is, nevermind...

Ok, so you know how I've been doing mindfulness meditation and it's been going well?

Well, there's one thing that happened for a while that I've been meaning to talk about.  It has to do with breathing.

I don't know if you've ever experienced that joke/prank/urban legend thing were someone tells you to think about your breathing and how your lungs fill and then empty and then they go "Ha!  You're manually breathing now because you're thinking about it and if you stop you'll die!" and it all feels really weird for a while because it does feel like you're making yourself breathe and it takes a while to remember that no... you're actually not, your body just does it by itself, you don't have to tell it to?

Or whatever it is that happens?

Yeah, for a few weeks there I was having a hard time with focussing on my breath during the meditation because it felt like I was doing weird things to my breathing.

Like, I was thinking about it or counting the breaths or focussing on it so much that it almost felt like I wasn't able to breathe.  I got sort of uncomfortable or almost panicky and that would distract me?

At one point instead of counting the in breaths, the focus was changed to the out breaths and I found that I didn't have that weird, almost panicky feeling and so I stopped worrying about it, and now it's generally fine and I can notice my breathing without THINKING about my breathing and making it weird.

If that makes sense.

But, yeah, I just wanted to say that that happened and it's better now but also apparently not unusual.

In fact, I should probably stop writing about it now before things get weird.

6 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

That sounds a lot like when I think about my tongue. This big fleshy thing in my mouth that somehow I manage not to bite like 99% of the time. Laying there all the time.

Thinking about it makes it weeeeird.

But glad you're managing to breath.

Victoria said...

Noooo! NOOO! Why would you do that to me? Now there's this huge lumpy thing in my mouth and I don't think I can talk! Gah! lol

Katie Tikalsky said...

Mindful meditation. I like that. I practice visualization in the evenings but I cannot get my brain to shut down. I am going to try this first and see if I can get my thoughts to focus. I end up feeling really anxious and i can't calm down.

Also, i can't stop thinking about my own tongue now.. so that's cool.

Victoria said...

I've found the guided mindfulness stuff really helpful (maybe try the Headspace app, it has some free stuff)

And, tongue... it's even a weird word! lol

Jonathan said...

Do you ever get that thing where your tongue feels weird? Kind of rubbery? I'm sure it's to do with certain foods or drinks - but I've had it a few times in my life. Probably an allergy of some kind.

Victoria said...

Er.... please don't die of an allergy!