Friday 6 March 2015

Everything Else Is Gravy? (Mmmmmmm Gravy)

My brother and I had a long phone call last week when he asked how things were going and I promptly broke down.

There was a lot of crying on my end and some really helpful, interesting conversation between us.

Somehow, we ended up talking about Burning Man for a while and I tried to explain what it is I love about it so much.

One of the things I said was that it's completely relaxing, mentally, because all I'm worried about for that week is do I have shelter, water, food, comfort.  And then, other than that?  What do I want to do to entertain myself?  I said that while it's not physically relaxing, having nothing to worry about but the basics is completely refreshing and wonderful.

My brother wondered if there wasn't something to that and if I couldn't somehow apply that to the rest of my life.

So I thought about that this weekend.... and there I was, sitting comfortably on my couch, knitting away while watching Vikings and I thought, yes, I have all my basics covered.  I'm safe, comfortable, I have food, shelter and water.  And I am choosing to entertain myself this way and I am happy and content with that.  Nothing else really matters.

Sure, Burning Man would not exist without the "real world" making it so and I would not be able to attend, or at least not so easily, if I did not have a job that I go to to make money that allows me to travel and do all the rest of it.  And I can not just sit on my couch watching shows all day every day, I work to support myself and provide myself with the basics, and I know I am lucky to have that and live that.

But let me tell you it was a nice feeling.  Safe, content, happy, good.

I think I might keep trying to remember that.

I am safe and comfortable and have food, shelter and water.  It's all good.

No comments: