Thursday 11 June 2015

Aww Man

So the dentist.

Sigh.

My dentist just retired and, well, has been pretty much semi retired for a few years now, so I've had fill in people working on my teeth on and off for the last while.

Recently I had a filling done and then the next week it felt ... weird... sharp, but... I didn't want to see the stand in dentist again so I just let it be.

Until I got the "I'm retiring" letter from my dentist, and I figured it was time to move on.

Visited a new dentist yesterday and had him look at the "whatever might be happening" around the tooth.  And, yeah, that filling had chipped, plus the next tooth over had a cavity.  And another one in this tooth and that tooth and are you kidding me that wasn't even a full set of X-Rays what is happening??????

This dentist chatted with me about my snacking habits (sigh.... I love me my sugar) and that the bacteria in my mouth was using that sugar and my saliva to all hang out and have a cavity making party whenever I snacked.  Which... you know, I throw sugar into my mouth all the damn time.

So even though I floss and brush and all that good stuff, I've still been getting cavities.  But this is the first time a dentist has really explained why.

And ways to maybe work on it.

He didn't tell me I had to stop eating sweets (amen brother) but that rather than, say, eating a chocolate bar over an afternoon, I would be better to eat the whole bar in one go, and then brush, or somehow get the sugar out of my mouth so that the bacteria didn't have anything to feed on.

I'm still pretty disappointed.  I thought I'd really improved my brushing, even trying to remember to brush and floss at work and it's more than that.

And I'm still getting cavities.

Which means fillings.

Which means freezing.

Which I don't like.

I don't like the poopy poopy bad hurting teeth things and the argh.

So, yeah.  Will try adjusting my dental hygiene yet again, and I look forward to working with a new dentist on making my teeth more better.  Betterer.  Gooder.

Not cavities.  No.  No like.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Dominic said...

As someone with an immunity to anaesthetics, I can relate! Dentists are not fun.

Sugar free gum is good. I get through tonnes of the stuff.

Victoria said...

Oh no..... I don't even want to think about that Dominic, poor you!

My dentist recommended Trident as he said that most of the sugar free gums the bacteria can still figure out how to "eat" it, but whatever's in Trident it can't seem to figure it out. Xylitol maybe? I could look it up, but it's the weekend, I go on brain break ;)