Monday 14 December 2015

Don't Worry, This One's Not Dramatic

It seems this is a week(end) of figuring stuff out and having realizations because I think I just figured something else out that I'm not happy about... but needed to know.

My stomach has been pretty bad the last few weeks.

I've been putting it down to stress, because I'm not eating gluten and I haven't changed what I'm eating all that much, maybe just eating a little less well... a little less protein... a little less formally.  Not as healthy, but not terrible.

But I've been getting up and unable to tolerate breakfast.  Like, eating it and then feeling sick.  Or, if really bad, actually getting sick.  Or just feeling sick enough that I'm either having to lie down or take whatever meds might possibly help.  (Oh, and in a side note, the new flavour of Gavisgon is nasty... and just makes things work.)

So it's been upsetting, because I have had no idea what's causing it and if it's stress, why is it worse in the mornings after I've slept?  So I've been sort of avoiding breakfast and having just one meal a day and, well, that's not ideal.

I've been trying to figure it out, but also just going ahead and taking pepto at night and then hoping I can get something down for breakfast.

I started to wonder if I was having too much dairy (it was identified as something my body doesn't love but not something I need to strictly avoid so I have lactose free milk, for example, but regular cheese, and I do fine) but I didn't think that was necessarily it, but I did start cutting down on the cheese for a bit.

Last night I was feeling pretty upset about it.  Not being able to eat without pain or nausea is pretty miserable, and it's been a while since I've had more than just a day of ouch.  So sometimes when my stomach is bad I just say screw it and eat something that's at least tasty so that the pain is "worth it" or something.... so I went and got myself a few scoops of the ice cream I've been having (because it was on sale) and... oh.  Ice cream.

Something I generally don't eat.  But got the other week as a "I'm sad and want a treat" and then they had a sale on it last week so I got more and man it's such a tasty treat to have a little Cherry Garcia at the end of a stressful day....

Ice cream.

Dairy.

A lot more dairy.

Damn.

So I'm going to have to find someone who wants most of a tub of ice cream or else I'm going to eat it and I'm now pretty darn sure that's what's been making my stomach so unhappy.  Tests to follow this week.. hopefully I'll be all better soon.

If less ice-creamy.

Sigh.

6 comments:

G's said...

So you probably ruled it out already buy... Maybe you're pregnant?

Dominic said...

Lactase tablets are cheap and work well!

Anne Roy said...

I ditched dairy back in 1998 ... cow milk is for cows.
All manner of fab substitute products ... Tofutti make wonderful ice-cream which is available in Canada.

Cdn Anne in England

Victoria said...

Nope, G, very much not. ;)

I suppose I could try it Dominic, but I didn't test out as lactose intolerant oddly enough.

Anne, I'm not even that much of an ice cream type person! *dramatic sigh* ;)

Unknown said...

Hope you've already found what caused a problem and feel much better)

Victoria said...

Thanks Lily