Monday 22 February 2016

A Corner

This is not meant to be a statement of political intent.  It is just something I noticed and found myself thinking about.

There's a corner in our downtown area that I found myself on this weekend.

Standing on this corner, I could see an old, Anglican cathedral.  One of the more impressive church buildings in town.  A place of worship.  Next to it, on the other side is a graveyard.  A place of remembrance and, perhaps, mourning.  Across from the graveyard there's a gym, filled with people trying to better themselves and get fitter or healthier.  And in the last corner, there's a "tent city."  A collection of people who for whatever life reasons have found themselves without a home and in a series of events over recent months set up a collection of tents and structures in a call for housing for all.

As I said, I am not wanting to get into political debates.  I was just struck with all the different aspects of life on this one corner of this one part of this city.

People struggling.  People worshiping.  People no longer alive.  People working out.

I don't know what the living people on those corners may have been thinking about the other people on those corners.  Were there judgements?  Frustrations?  Did they even notice each other?  How odd our world can be... two buildings where people are likely not worried about their basic survival, right next to a group of people quite possibly worried about surviving the rest of that day.

It's a funny old world sometimes... and it's hard to know the best way to travel through it.

We're all in our own little worlds sometimes.  And all this thinking, just from the intersection of two streets and many different stories.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

This is a great observation. I never even thought about the context of everything in that corner before.
This is one of the things that makes you a great artist, V - you see things that most people don't notice or think about. :)

Victoria said...

And now I'm blushing. Thanks Yvonne :)