Thursday 15 September 2016

Odd

The first while sleeping at home after Burning Man is always a little odd and difficult to adjust to.

I think I maybe babbled about it the other day, but usually it's hard to adjust to there NOT being sound and noise.

This year, my sleeping was a lot quieter, partly because of where I was camped, but partly being in a camper van rather than a tent (more sound insulation). 

But each night since I've been home (which seems a lot longer than it actually is.... I've only been home for six nights, weird) I have the same oddness happen.

As I'm falling asleep, I remember that I still have to get/drive home.  And then I kind of come to a little and go through this weird moment or two of realizing that no, that's actually the dresser next to my bed... at home... in my room... in my apartment; I don't have to get myself home.  I don't have to drive/get this room home.  I am home.

It's a strange thing and odd feeling and it has happened each night so far as I'm falling asleep... that weird feeling of still having to get home....  bedroom and all.


3 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

My other half used to have huge anxiety about flying - to the point that it ruined her holidays because she would shut down 24 hours before flying home.

Jason Langlois said...

That's interesting... did you have the same feeling while at BM in the van?

Honestly, the way the human brain works sometimes (all the time?) is baffling.

Victoria said...

I can totally understand that J. Ugh.

I actually didn't think about getting home again until the end of the week Jason, and then I was more worried about running out of gas and the van maybe not starting at all. Camping on the way down, I suppose I would fall asleep knowing I had to move in the morning, but I think this feeling is partly due to the X number of days in the hotel room worrying about being stranded and wanting to get home.