Thursday 16 November 2017

Deep Breaths

Because I don't like politics or political debates, I'm turning off comments just as a precaution (although I trust you all, I do not trust the internet.)

I feel terrified by the seeming inability of some people (seemingly an entire neighbouring country) to sway from their point of view.

The absolute resolve some (many???) seem to have in the rightness of their thoughts/beliefs/viewpoints is making what are difficult situations more and more dangerous.

I am perhaps on an extreme in that I always try to see the other side.  It is incredibly hard on me and frustrating and tiring, but I think it's important.  In debating, we were taught to learn/guess/research what the other side would likely be thinking/presenting in order to better hone your arguments against them.  I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about understanding *why* people feel they do.  I think it's vitally important, especially right now in these times that seem to feel so surreal and upsetting.

I am a judgmental person.  And my acknowledgement of that means I am open to learning I may not be right.  I am working on it.  But I still always, always, try to *feel* where the other person may be coming from.

It is scaring me that so so many others are not.

And it feels like "social media" makes things that much worse.

I just want us all to be ok.  As best we can.

And I don't know what to do about it all.

It's overwhelming in scope, you know?