Thursday 6 February 2020

Labels And Names

It's been a few years now since I was initially diagnosed (???) by my doctor.  And I think I wrote about it at some point, but she diagnosed me with a good chunk of things and that's the information that went off to... uh... I don't actually know?  I assume it went off to someone at some point?  But anyway... it's been a while is the point I was vaguely hacking away at.

I bring this up because that doctor retired, so I don't have her opinion on what might have changed, because I'm pretty sure things have changed.

Like, yes, I'm kind of low these days and I think "winter blues" is part of that, but I don't think I would be considered clinically depressed anymore.  I for sure get slumps, and low days and times of depression I think?  But not the way it was.  Cool.

And with the anxiety (anxieties???) I know that's still there, but it's shifted a little and I have more breathing room most of the time.  I think I even said to a counsellor type that my panic attacks weren't quite a long or as devastating as they were.  But they're still there.  And I still struggle with a lot of things I am not used to struggling with, and I still struggle with things that I would really rather not.

I bring this up because I feel like my old doctor might have done a 'retest' for lack of a better term.  A re-assessment to see where I'm at.  I guess I could go do some online quizzes or something but it's more sort of a general wondering... what's still getting to me... where am I still really struggling.  What labels and names might have been erased from the top of my file... and what is still there.

I dunno man, this is still all pretty weird, you know?





Update:  I wrote this post and then went and did some online screenings and I'm a little bummed that I still hit all of the markers for most of the anxiety disorders/issues my doctor initially listed.  Sigh.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Hitting the markers doesn't mean you haven't made progress, though. They're probably not going to disappear entirely... but slowly you'll cope better with it all.

I have faith in you.

Victoria said...

Thanks. And you're right :)