Thursday 20 May 2021

I Think I've Talked About This Before

(But you know, links are evil right now in Blogger world so not even going to search for it!)

I live vaguely near a park where blue herons nest (live? do you live where you nest or just nest there and then move on?) and so some mornings (like the last few) I'll see a blue heron flying overhead (out my window... duh) towards, I assume, said nesting area.

For a long while I thought I was hearing said heron do its weird sounding dinosaur calls on the way over and I kept thinking how funny it is that they sound so... not nice?

Last year I remember hearing the heron a lot.  Like a lot lot, but I just figured there were more flying back and forth or something.

Until my neighbour asked me if the garbage truck back up noise was bothering me as much as it was bothering her... and that's when I learned that some trucks don't go "beep beep beep" when backing up, they go CAWWWWW CAWWWWW CAWWWWWWW like... um... dinosaurs, not like blue herons.  Although herons have a particularly awful call.  (Especially when distressed by a bald eagle flying opportunistically through the park setting off the bird alarm system that was literally heard all over the park!)

No comments: