Tuesday 26 March 2024

Dis-Connected

One of the things I noticed when I was away (in the cabin near the ocean... happy sigh) was that I survived just fine without wifi/internet/my devices.

Yes, I had my phone and laptop with me, but I hardly used them and that was just fine.  I did end up having cell service so once I day or so I logged in to my apps that track things daily (daily meditation, daily language learning) and that was about it.  Oh, and I used it to take photos sometimes.  And as for my laptop, I basically only used it to download my photos to storage.  Without wifi there was no real need for it.

I read my book (finished it actually), I talked with Jason (who spent a lot of time on his phone which was interesting.)  We played card games a couple of times.  I didn't do much at all.  Some walks around the area or hikes or what have you but really I was totally ok being away from wifi and devices for four days.  

I tried to replicate this at home but have failed spectacularly and I have been trying to figure that out.

I think a big part of it was there being someone else in my space.  Someone who was making conversation and chatting a lot of the time.  But also company I guess?  And sitting on the couch there was a beautiful view that I could just look out at if I wanted to.  Not that my view at my place is terrible, but lovely trees and buildings and sky are somehow not the same as lovely trees and ocean and nature, you know?

And my place is comfortable but it's not the same as being in essentially one room with a super comfy couch and nothing to do.  All the food you need is there.  (Plus running water and electricity and a fire and oh right, a hot tub and soaker bath.) You have no work, no appointments, no need to try to go to the gym or get groceries or run errands, you're just THERE.  (I did "turn down" my exercise expectations and kept up with my movement-exercise plus some small challenging hikes.)   

Oh and you're not even dealing with laundry (until you get home) and someone is vacuuming when you leave so you don't have to think about that (not that I made a mess, I'm just saying it's part of the holiday experience to not have those concerns, unlike at home.)

But anyway, I digress.

I went several days without digital connectivity and I was fine.

I get home and I'm like glued to my laptop and phone again.

Not my favourite.

I talked to Jason about the trip after as it's the first time we've done this sort of trip vs going camping and I wasn't sure how it would go.

It's a different kind of relaxing because when you're camping (especially at this time of year... Winter/Spring) there is CONSTANTLY something do to.  You don't sit for long during the day and then you do get to sit for a while at night but you have to maintain the fire at a minimum so while camping is very much nature immersion (and Jason and I usually do day trip adventures as well) it's a busy relaxation.  This cabin time was so incredibly relaxing in terms of WE DID NOTHING AT ALL.  We didn't leave the property even though we'd thought we might do some day trips.  Nope.  Just sat and relaxed the whole time.

Without wifi or tv or anything "at home" technology wise.

(And yes, now I just want to go back... still!  Even though I could not afford to live there the whole time and real life would eventually set back in in time.)

No comments: