Friday 4 October 2024

Misty, Watercoloured.....

The book I'm reading is about teens (but I don't think it's a YA novel?  Not that that matters, I love me a good YA read.) and for some reason whatever portion I was reading last night brought back a sudden memory for me.

I had a friend in high school, early grades I think, and somehow went to church with her.  The way I remember it is that I was likely sleeping over and they were a church family and I was there Sunday morning and so went with them.  I don't remember or know if they or I asked my parents if I could/should go or anything like that, I don't remember much other than I think for a while I went to the youth group there.

From the little I remember, it was on a whatever night, and was close enough to my house but my parents, I think, still drove me/picked me up.  I don't remember much of the religious/God stuff but I'm sure there was some, probably a reading and some conversation, but I do remember the socializing.

I remember thinking some boys were cute and probably attempting teenage flirting with them.  I think I remember maybe basketball games or other fun activities.  I remember an impression of the colour of the church (grey) and feeling like we were alone in the upper portion of this big building (because it would have been just the one or two adults I guess.) Maybe I even went camping with them one time?  (I know I went with my friend, I remember it was June and it snowed where we were, but I don't remember if it was a family trip or a youth group trip.)

I liked the youth group times.  I don't remember why I stopped going or when or much more about it all.  I know friendships grew and changed and slowed and ended in high school as there is, or was for me, at least, a lot of growing and changing going on.

But yeah, that was a strange memory to come back to me while reading last night.... the time in my teens when I went to a church youth group.

I could make some semi snarky comment about how the sermons clearly didn't work on me or something but honestly all my memories of that are positive and fun and I don't know if youth groups are still a thing anymore, but hanging out with young people doing fun things on a (I assume) weekend evening was a great thing.  I think it was great to have a guided group to hang out with and although it may have been limited for me, I guess I'm glad it was in my life.  Even if I outgrew it or moved on or who knows what.

Memories.  Funny things they can be.  I'm not sure I would have remembered this portion of my teenage years if not for whatever part of this book flushed out the memory.


No comments: