Monday 7 October 2024

Years On

I'm at the end of a box of garbage bags and I only bring this up because it has a story attached to it!

When Covid lockdowns happened, I, like all of us, had no idea what was about to happen and we knew or felt that shipping would be impacted (especially with us living on an island here....as much as we tend to sort of forget we are) so I bought/ordered a box of 100 small garbage bags.  I figured that would get me through a while.

Well, that box has just kept going and going and the other day I noticed I was getting to the end of this box of garbage bags that I bought at the start of Covid lockdowns and I started to think about how long ago that was (even if it doesn't "feel" like it was that long ago) and then I tried to do some basic math.

I don't know quite how many bags are left in the box (they're in a roll, I'm not going to unroll the roll just to count!) but I'm going to pretend it's empty.

If I got the box the equivalent of 5 years ago and there are 12 months in a year, I apparently take garbage out approximately twice a month (give or take?)  Go figure!

I mean it makes sense I guess.  I live alone, so it's just me using things.  I have a compost for food waste.  I recycle paper, hard and soft plastics, metal and glass, and so there's not really an awful lot that I need to put into the garbage.  I still do produce garbage but I'm feeling kind of proud to know that I maybe don't throw out all that much?  Less than two bags a month?  That seems pretty good, no?

I'm sure my math isn't terribly accurate and more of a general ballpark but still it was a neat realization to kind of see something I'd never really thought about before. 

No comments: