Monday 19 October 2020

So......

I just found out that of the nearly 700 digital pieces I've created, shared, and stored, an unknown but likely large number of them are incorrectly sized.

I *thought* I was creating them at, say 8 inches by 8 inches and so I labelled and tagged them as such... with the idea in mind that they could then be "blown up" to a larger print size if someone wanted.

Well I've been using a free program for a while now to draw certain symmetrical starting shapes and I noticed that when I zoomed in on them for one reason or another (usually to "colour in" a small spot) it would... pixelate (for lack of a better term).  I assumed this was because of the free nature of the program and shrugged it off.  (My bad, I know.)

Recently, a woman has been asking about these pieces and if I have a store, and no, I don't have a store right now, I said, but sure, I can print them on canvas if you want.  And I went to look at what it would cost me to do a trial run of sizes to see just how large I could go before the pixelation became an issue (ie the piece looked like crap).  I was over at Jason's for dinner at the time and I asked him (as he knows more about prints and digital stuff than I do by a mile) and he asked what size the file was.  I DUNNO! I countered intelligently.  So we looked.

Um... yeah.  The pieces that I've been making the last... while?  Are not 8 by 8 inches, they are the equivalent of 2.5 x 2.5 inches.  Which.... yeah.  Tiny.  Which also means they won't blow up - I can't really enlarge them.  

I actually had a good ironic chuckle at this fact for a while because what else was I to do and it's not as if I have an actual paying customer I now have to disappoint.  But now that it's.... today.  And I realize the scope of this issue, I'm pretty damn overwhelmed.

Going and checking the actual size and file size of these pieces will be a large, boring, mind numbing job.  That I do not want to do.  And my sense of things right now is to pack it all up, delete the whole shebang and walk away, never to be heard from again.

So... instead of doing that, I'm writing this post.  Cuz, you know... 

Sigh.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Oh no. That's disappointingly frustrating.

On the other hand, I did get kind of a thrill at the idea of 700 of your pics at 2.5"x2.5" all put together like a big mosaic.

Victoria said...

Funny, other Jason said something similar, you Jasons might be on to something ;)