Wednesday 28 July 2021

Bring Bring

Ok, the phone optic nerve wire cable not copper fibre you what now? phone thing has come and gone and like most things that my anxiety gives me H E double hockey sticks about it was fine.  

I knew it would be once the technician arrived, they're always good and in my experience friendly, so it wasn't so much that part (although of course there's some concern these days with Covid, but we were all masked up) it was more the not knowing and the waiting?  I'm honestly not sure why it was SUCH a seriously awful stress for me.  Really.

They called to let me know they were on the way (within the arrival window period of time) and once they got here I was able to ask the one or two questions I had but honestly they (of course) were thinking of that too.

I'm glad I had talked to you guys and Jason and C-Dawg about it (she has it at her place and Jason knows about these sorts of things way more than I do) so I had some idea of what was going on. 

I ended up kind of ripping apart my living room to find an outlet (electrical) and then he ended up bringing in a power bar anyway (I will most likely upgrade to a "better" one... actually it's on my to do list to do that with all of my stuff.)  I asked about a battery pack and they weren't going to put one in but did since I asked so that's a good thing I was able to remember (thanks brain!)  I just assumed it would happen but he said usually they only do it if the customer requests it.  (Sure, we might not lose power here much... knock on wood! but still.. it's all the "what if" times I'm trying to cover, you know?)

So they ran this little tiny wire from... their installation point? (done a few months earlier for my whole building) and along my ceiling and stuff and really it's so thin you can't notice it unless you're looking for it (yay for light coloured walls I guess?)

Some changes for me include no phone in my bedroom anymore.  I'll probably buy a second cordless headset.  Not that I talk on the phone in bed a lot but there are times a call comes in when I'm in bed and, well yeah.  (That reminds me to look into how many rings until my voice mail kicks in... hmmm.)

The place that USED to be where my phone plugged in is now ONLY for the door buzzer and luckily I have an "old fashioned" non cordless, not plugged in phone that I'll use for that but that's an adjustment for me.  Up until now if someone buzzed the door thing it rang on my phone.  Now I'll have to get up and go to the hallway to get to the buzzer.  Again, not a huge inconvenience but a change.  And I'll have to get someone to come test it as I'm not sure what that phone sounds like.  I'm pretty sure it's loud as I've had its ringer turned off for... years?

So yeah, some things to adjust to for me phone wise and now my phone isn't copper wire it's some sort of electric magic that I don't understand (not that I really understood copper wire either to be honest...)

So my apartment got a little extra cleaning as I moved things back once they left and over the next while I'll figure out the phone system and all that jazz and, so yeah.  Change has happened.  The people doing the work were good and nice and I would really have preferred my system/brain/whatever had not had me losing my BLEEP for over a week about this.  Le sigh.

2 comments:

Elliott said...

I'm glad everything went well and there were no major issues. Now you can enjoy the higher speed surfing, and if you're like us, more than a 50% decrease in monthly cost for internet/TV/phone.

Glad that is behind you.

Victoria said...

Thanks, I'm glad it is too!
The irony is this is only for a phone line! lol (internet through a different provider and still just on... whatever old fashioned thing it's on!)