Friday 10 May 2024

D'Oh!

A few weeks ago I was chatting with a neighbour of mine about how the weather had/has been fluctuating.

She's an older woman (probably 10 - 15+ years older than me give or take?) and very nice and so in talking about how the weather has been less than stable I said "yes, some night I'm throwing off the blanket and then the next night I'm having to throw it back on!"

Now I meant this quite literally... some nights it's warm enough that I want my blankets off and then some nights it's chilly enough that I want all the blankets on and my windows down!

This lovely lady, however, responded that she's been "doing that for the last 15 years!" which oh dear no I didn't mean hot flashes, I meant the literal temperature in my bedroom but also OMG 15 years of hot flashes at night OH NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I didn't correct her and just murmured sympathetic thoughts but I was a little embarrassed that my idle chit chat is often slightly off the mark of what the other person is thinking.  But also I guess I look around the age that an older woman would assume I meant hot flashes at night, so I get where she got the idea from.

But I really just meant... air temps, not my body temps!

No comments: