Wednesday 16 August 2006

Teenage Boys Aren't Nice


I remember one day in highschool, grade 10 or 11, running across these two guys in the breezeway. They were both popular guys and I had a huge crush on one of them and an only slightly lesser crush on the other.

The guys call me over and tell me they have something to ask me. I stand there (trying desperately to look as if I didn't care that these two cute, popular boys were talking to me...ME ! in front of everyone) and they ask me if I shave my legs.

I was embarrassed by the question but didn't want to show it so I shrugged and said yeah, shaking my head in that way that teenagers do when you've asked them a stupid question.

Now, I was already nervous and uncomfortable at this point but, I really wanted to impress the guy I liked. I was pretty sure he was going to ask me out in the near future and figured that this was his way of flirting.

My crush asks me again if I shave... I nod. His buddy asks me if I shave all the way or if I stop at my knees. I was confused by the question, but thought that if they were asking, it must not be cool to stop at the knees, so I shake my head.

"So you shave everything?" my crush asks me, a grin spreading across his face. I shrug, (thinking he must mean underarms as well) flustered, and nod, embarrassed to be talking about shaving at all.

They look at each other and start laughing, high fiving each other. It's not a friendly laugh and I realize immediately that I've said something wrong. I just don't know what it is.

I shrug and smile, pretending I'm in on the joke too, and I walk away.

At some point it hits me... they were asking me if I shaved everything. And I had somehow told them that yes, I was the kind of girl who shaved...everything.

It may not seem like much now, but at the time, I was completely humiliated.

I don't know if they meant to be mean. I like to think they didn't, but I know some teenagers don't mind getting a laugh at someone else's expense.

It's the same with some adults.


Just not any I'd date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, I tell ya V it's universal... there's a big question mark over Canadian chics and their hairy legs.

Heck even your own blokes question it!

But hey we all know that you ladies need to keep warm and therefore you need all the help you can get!

;op lol

Victoria said...

Ryan, I'm coming down there to throw snowballs at you!!!!

lol


it's only the French-Canadian girls, I keep telling you!