Thursday 7 September 2006

Jimi Thing


I love music. Love, love, love it. You have no idea. I LOVE music. I can't even do justice to how much I love it, how much it means to me, and what I get out of it.

Sometimes it's the melody, sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes it's the artist, but most often it's the dynamic combination of all of these and that something mystical that just works together to create magic. And when it does work together? It's glorious. Transcendent.

I love music.

I was listening to a song recently and it hit me that a particular line in the song may be one of my all time favourite lines of lyric, ever. Maybe it won't strike you in the same way. That's not my point. For me? This one line is just in the perfect place at the perfect time and when I hear it? I just smile. Sometimes I even catch myself holding my breath.

Let me help with the context. Jimi Hendrix. Red House. The song is sex on wheels to start off with. But I digress.

Mid-way through the song:

Lord there's a red house over yonder. Lord, that's where my baby stays. I ain't been home to see my baby in ninety nine and one half days.

Wait a minute something's wrong here. The key won't unlock this door. Wait a minute, something's wrong. Lord have mercy, this key won't unlock this door. Something's gone wrong here. I have a bad, bad feeling, that my baby don't live here no more.

That's alright, I've still got my guitar.

Look out now.


"That's alright. I've still got my guitar."



I've had that feeling. The feeling that at least you have that one thing that will save you. The one thing that matters outside of everything else that you pretend matters.

I've lived with a musician. I've seen something spiritual happen when a truly gifted person plays their chosen instrument. There is something incredibly sexual and sexy to me about a man who can play an instrument well. And if it's a guitar? Well... my knees have been known to buckle. I put up with a lot when I lived with my musician ex. Maybe because of the guitar. And the mad talent.

Jimi Hendrix may not have lived the perfect life, but you know he had his guitar. And there's something about the way he says it and then goes on to jam out an incredible riff. It just blows me out of the water every time.

That's alright, I've still got my guitar.

You've got to respect a guy who's girl has just left him and he knows he'll get over it because he's still got his true love.

I could go on for ages about why that particular line hits me, but because you're not me? It won't mean as much to you, if anything. It's a gut reaction for me. In trying to explain it, I realized I can't. It's not explainable. It's a physical reaction I have to how those particular sound waves hit my brain. I love it. I love music. I love the song. Jimi rocked out on that one. And many many others.




And if his baby doesn't love him no more? He knows her sister will . . . .


As an aside: I don't know who the girl is. She's a hot chick and it's a hot song. They seemed to fit each other.

6 comments:

Slinger said...

I thought the ckick in the picture was you!

Victoria said...

Nope!

But of course, if it was me, I still wouldn't tell you. ; )

Slinger said...

Yeah I know. Actually I saw that pic on your flickr site too, I think?

Victoria said...

Yep. All the photos I've put up here have been from my flickr site thingy!

ashlinn said...

i love love love your blog. i love love love this post. i'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Victoria said...

Awwww, yay! That makes me feel warm and fuzzy :)