Wednesday 6 September 2006

Y'all Are Going to be So Proud of Me!

We've established, I believe, that I am somewhat shy and perhaps even clueless when it comes to attractive personages of the male persuasion, yes? Well, there was a breakthrough just now that I believe my three loyal readers will appreciate!

As I was leaving the gym this evening, a cute guy opened the door for me. This in itself wasn't unusual. (Because, hello? Chivalry rocks!)

I said thank you, which isn't unusual seeing as I always say thank you. (Because, well... politeness is awesome too!)

But then, he said... and I quote "You're *very* welcome". Which is a little bit unusual, seeing as most people just nod or say "You're welcome." or "No problem." or something.

But the MOST unusual part of it all is what I did next.

My brain proceeded to register that this guy had not only put a flirty intonation into his answer, but had used a tone of voice that was more than just casual stranger to stranger politeness. ( I'd like to think he purred it. It was rather yummily said!) And when I realized that this cute guy had purred "You're *very* welcome" and that I'd processed that fact ALMOST INSTANTLY rather than thirty minutes later, I did, what is for me, quite unusual.

I turned back and smiled at him.

And? He was watching me and smiling right back at me! We'd both done the 'turn back at the person walking away from you and look thing' (Insert girlish giggle here.)

I tell you, it was like some kind of miracle! I had managed to smile back at a guy who was, for lack of a better term, flirting with me. It was awesome!

It may not be a date or anything, but still... baby steps people, baby steps!

Good job me!



( Let's just ignore the fact that I was so eager to get home and type this up that I couldn't quite manage to untie the double knots in my runners and nearly fell over like a total dork, shall we? Mmmmmkay.)

9 comments:

Likalia said...

Congrats! That is something that, like you, I always realize later I should have done - very aggrevating.

Especially since the chances of running into said cute guy again diminish if you don't actually talk. Bonus for you that you both go to the same gym, now you can look forward to the exciting second exchange. ;)

(I must be tired, that was so much wordier than I wanted it to be! lol)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am so identifying with you. I completely feel that way when I do something like that.

Victoria said...

I love the wordy comments! I often find myself ( usually early in the morning when I'm half asleep ) making comments that upon re-reading make no sense at all, so good on you for having a comment that makes sense!

(hmmm, apparently you're not the only tired one here likalia!) ; )

and glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way : )

Slinger said...

Hilarious! I guess you can change your loyal readers to 4, since i bookmarked your site and check it almost every day!

Victoria said...

wheeeeee! that's fantastic to hear. :D

dilling said...

Good on you!

Victoria said...

yay me! : D

danish said...

*sniff* Oh~! I'm so proud. So proud! I have been reading you for quite a while, but never have I been so proud! *sob*

...but seriously, wouldn't it be awesome if you two met in the gym again, and hit it off? But this time, with the exchange of numbers and stuff? *crosses fingers* It's possible, now. You opened the door. Well, he did, technically. But... well... you know what I mean!

Victoria said...

giggles

it would be kind of fun if that happened eh?