Monday 4 September 2006

Stand Up Kind of Guy

I'm pretty lucky. I've only ever been stood up once.

I was at a going away party for a friend of a friend a few years ago. My friends and I had just sat down with our first drink when this very cute guy walked in wearing this funky suede jacket. He had an awesome smile. One of my friends knew him so he joined us. Dude and I totally hit it off. He was funny and attentive and interesting. I was very attracted to him. When it was time for my friends and I to head home
Dude told me he'd like to see me again. (Wow, this had better be a damn good post...I just knocked over my water bottle while typing...and then knocked over the paper towel holder trying to mop it up. I'm kind of laughing a lot right now.) I was pleased and we arranged to meet for coffee (or hot chocolate) the next day. I told him when I got out of class and where I'd be on campus. He promised he'd see me there. I believed him.

I sat outside the Student Union Building for almost an hour past the time we'd said we'd meet before I realized he wasn't coming. I was really embarrassed. I felt stupid. It was a horrible feeling. I went to bed early that night and lost myself in a good book.

Around 9:30 my phone rang. It was him. We hadn't exchanged numbers the night before so I wasn't expecting to hear from him ever again. I asked him, a little snippily, where he'd been. He paused and asked me, very calmly, where I'd been. I was confused and told him I had waited half an hour (not wanting him to know how pathetic I'd been) and he hadn't shown up at the S.U.B where we'd said we'd meet. He told me that he'd waited an hour at the pub where we were supposed to meet and it was ME who hadn't shown up.

We'd both turned up for our date, just at two separate locations. I was relieved. So was he. I'd been stood up and had written him off as a jerk. He'd been stood up and had tracked down one of the girls he'd seen me at the party with (a mutual friend of the guy who was leaving) and had asked her to give him my number. Luckily she did and we set up a date for the very next day. It was a great date and I was impressed that he'd gone out of his way to find me after knowing me for less than three hours. It was an excellent way to start out a relationship. It was an excellent relationship. One of my favourites. (Guys, you need to go after what you want. It's worth it.)



So. I'm pretty lucky. I've never actually been stood up.



Oh, and in case you were wondering? He knew. He really, really knew.

2 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

Is that a tick on the chart for normal guys at last (counting myself in this "normal" bracket)...

It would appear - after having walked this earth for the last 34 years now - that all the popular kids at school ended up in menial jobs, or with 20 children on welfare, and all the people who didn't quite fit in have ended up with careers and happily married.

Strange how things work out.

Victoria said...

I LOVE normal guys!

And, if I could go tell my school-self one thing? It'd be not to bother with the popular kids because, yes, they weren't going to end up doing anything awesome after school. : )