Wednesday 25 October 2006

Awkward


Once upon a time, my friends convinced me I should go on a date with this guy. I wasn't attracted to him but he was always nice to us so when he asked me if I'd like to go for coffee or something, I said sure.

After the initial small talk wore off, he started to tell me about his hobby. Nascar. Watching.

He told me about the cars he liked to watch and the accessories he had purchased (remember that Friends episode when Joey bought the Porche hat and gloves and jacket?) and the races he had seen and, unfortunately, I couldn't have been less interested. Well, I could have been, but not by a lot.

I felt badly when he walked me to my car because I *really* didn't want to have to deal with a goodbye kiss or a lack of one. I think I said something to him like "Well, this is the awkward moment, huh?" but I managed to get away without having to kiss him. There may have been a hug and a "Thankyou."

I didn't hear from him again so I figured he hadn't felt any connection either.

About a month later, I was sitting around drinking with my girlfriends when one of them asked how the date had gone. I told them that it wasn't the best but that it was ok since he had obviously felt the same way. It was at that point that another friend burst out laughing. We all turned to her.

"No, he totally liked you!" she giggled "But I told him that he'd bored you to death with the Nascar and you would never return his call so there was no point in him calling you!"

Poor guy.

I never told her that, but it's probably not too far from the truth. I'm honestly relieved that he didn't call because I didn't have to tell him I wasn't interested in another date and I didn't have to go through the awkwardness. I just feel badly that my friend shot him down without even checking with me first. Someone doing my dirty work without my knowledge feels wrong. Not since grade 7 have I asked someone to break up with a guy for me. (And that was only because another girl said she'd beat me up if I didn't dump him. Long story. ) I don't know.

Dating is just awkward, no matter what. But it's especially so when the attraction isn't mutual. Or when Nascar is involved. At great length.



PS. I didn't have my date at the Penny Farthing (pictured above), but you could. It's fun!

6 comments:

danish said...

That's a bummer. Not really fair, either, 'cause you never know... maybe you two could've been friends at least. It's nice to have a guy friend, no?

Hmmm. Poor guy. If nothing else, maybe you could have let him down a bit easier.

Victoria said...

Danish: Yeah, he seemed like an ok guy and might just have made a good friend. One of those elusive male friends!

Ryan:I don't get it myself. Mwewrrrrrraawwwwwwww... mwewererrrrrrrrawwwwwww... over and over.

(that, by the way, is the sound of a car race, in case y'all didn't know! )

Anonymous said...

*Sigh*

Boys and their toys, eh?

Victoria said...

yep!

;)

dilling said...

I wonder what he's doing right now...

Victoria said...

uh.. watching Nascar? ; )