Sunday 1 October 2006

Satisfying

I had a friend visiting me this weekend and she brought over her D70 (a digital SLR camera) and had me take a few photos of her with it.

As I started shooting, something struck me. I hadn't realized how much I missed the "click" that goes along with a single lens reflex camera.

That shutter click.... it's so satisfying. It feels good to me to hear the inner works clicking as I take the photo. Click isn't even the right word. If you use an SLR, you'll know the sound I mean. All I could think as I was using the D70 was ... this is satisfying.

I really like my current digital camera and I really like my film SLR, but I think I'll have to start saving up for an eventual day when I purchase a digital SLR. Digital works better for me in a financial processing/development way. I'm no professional, but I grew up taking photos with a camera that went "click" and I didn't realize I'd been missing it. I'd love to have a digital SLR at some point. Not tomorrow... just, sometime in the future-ish.

In fact, future Mister Perfect? It'd make a damn fine wedding present! ;)

4 comments:

Slinger said...

I just bought a Canon 20D, and I love it. I have a older Canon Rebel film SLR, but over the years have moved to the smaller digital cameras, also have a Canon Powershot, which is handy in quick situations. But I hear you on the "click", it's one of my favorite sounds.

Victoria said...

ryan, i think you like what you first learn with or practice with. I'd bet there are some folks out there who'd never try a manual control camera because it's too fidgity ; )

slinger, i too amm looking for a small digital to just have around for those moments you don't expect. but yeah. the 'click' is cool. and you can feel it too, as well as hearing it : )

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Vic (can I call you Vic? Hmm, are you a Vic?? End of tangent)as well, that satisfying click was the best thing about my new DSLR. I grew up in a house of SLR cameras, and have wanted a DSLR since they first came out and cost more than a small car. :) When I took that first picture it felt like coming home (gag, ahem).

Victoria said...

Go for it, call me what cha like : ) (just don't call me late for dinner... *groan at corny, old joke* )

mmmm... clickity goodness. It's nice, eh? I also wanted one when they were MASSIVELY expensive and will continue wanting one until they're, what.. more reasonable? or that lottery win comes my way? or that husband who won the lottery comes my way?

and I completely understand about the coming home thing ; ) heh